New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Airport not working

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
ochropyra

Airport not working

Post by ochropyra »

Hi,

I recently replaced my Airport Extreme with a B3.

Ever since I'm unable to use Airplay.

While there is a Suggestion that I should open some ports on the firewall, but as I see it that does not make sense.
Both iPhone and Apple TV are on the wlan so there shouldnt be a firewall involved.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Peter
nobody

Re: Airport not working

Post by nobody »

Did you actually try turning the firewall off for a few seconds to see if it helps instead on only speculating that it does not? Its not like its a lot of work is it?
ochropyra

Post by ochropyra »

not helping -.-
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Not that I know anything about that Apple hocus pocus, but maybe the router needs to have some kind of support for Airplay? Something that's built into the Airport but not the B3? If I'm not misremembering Apple likes doing broadcasting of their stuff, maybe something in the B3 is blocking that?

Anyway, what device is streaming to what device? Is this something you have on the iPhone and want to view on the Apple TV?

/Daniel
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

DanielM wrote:Not that I know anything about that Apple hocus pocus, but maybe the router needs to have some kind of support for Airplay? Something that's built into the Airport but not the B3? If I'm not misremembering Apple likes doing broadcasting of their stuff, maybe something in the B3 is blocking that?
Smart comment...

It's actually not so much firewalling but blocking of multicast traffic that is considered to be flooding of the network. The same thing is mentioned to happen with high end routers that will show all Apple devices on the network right after they were booted and none any more after just a few minutes.

Luckily on the B3 this should be a quick fix. The is because the B3 is already set to support Apple devices by means of the Avahi daemon. By toggling the `enable-reflector` switch in the avahi-daemon.conf you can make it act as a repeater for mDNS requests (mDNS or DNS-SD is the Apple discovery service - a.k.a. Bonjour)
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Gordon wrote:Smart comment...
What's your problem???

/Daniel
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

:?

Nothing, I'm just saying that's a smart comment. Like in: you probably got something there.

Have to say, you're probably the first one picking up on me writing something cynical on a forum. Kind of a shame though that you did it when I wasn't...
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Gordon wrote::?

Nothing, I'm just saying that's a smart comment. Like in: you probably got something there.

Have to say, you're probably the first one picking up on me writing something cynical on a forum. Kind of a shame though that you did it when I wasn't...
:D

Ok. Peace then. The reason I really thought you were sarcastic was that my post really didn't sound very well thought when I read it myself.

Thing is, I get kinda irritated on big companies like Apple or Microsoft that invents their own standards instead of doing it "the right way", which means their products works absolutely perfect when no third party products are involved but that doesn't cooperate very well with anyone else. Like for example that Bonjour crap...

btw, sorry to the OP for destroying this thread. I hope Gordon's `enable-reflector` leads you in the right direction.

/Daniel
ochropyra

Post by ochropyra »

I wish i knew what the reason was.

I restored the B3 as I wanted to send it back to amazon.. Boom. Airplay works...
Norman

Post by Norman »

Gordon wrote:Luckily on the B3 this should be a quick fix. The is because the B3 is already set to support Apple devices by means of the Avahi daemon. By toggling the `enable-reflector` switch in the avahi-daemon.conf you can make it act as a repeater for mDNS requests (mDNS or DNS-SD is the Apple discovery service - a.k.a. Bonjour)
Thanks! That toggling of the enable-reflector worked for me. Now Airplay is runnin' just fine on my Apple-TV, Iphone and Ipad.

/Daniel
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Nice to get some feedback on a proposed solution actually working. Glad to hear and many thanks for posting.