New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

selectively recovering ~some~ files from a RAID...

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
zander

selectively recovering ~some~ files from a RAID...

Post by zander »

hi,

is it possible to selectively recover some files from a raid? specifically i would like to recover the contents of the /storage directory.

please advise.

thank you.
~alonzo...
Gordon

Re: selectively recovering ~some~ files from a RAID...

Post by Gordon »

AFAIK any RAID should repair itself if you replace the defective disk, as long as this defect does not affect more than half of the disks involved. Can you be more specific?
zander

Post by zander »

hi,

last week i tried to setup an automated weekly backup of the user directory and the storage directory using a third disk. somehow things went wrong and when i tried to login this week there was a report that "no more space was left on device"(sic) so i re-installed the system. the system was setup as RAID before this "no space left on disk" issue.

my concern is if i try to mount the second disk of the old system that it will cause the system to return to the same "no space left on disk" state.

subsequently i wonder if it is possible for me to recover only the part of the mirror RAID that hopefully contains my /home and /storage dirs...
~alonzo...
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

The message "no space left on device" in concurrence with not being able to logon would normally refer to the root partition being flooded. I think you should be able to mount the disk without issues, specifically since you have to be root to do so anyway.

As a safety precaution you may attempt to mount the disk on a different mountpoint than /home though; that should give you enough options to examine the content of this disk. If you choose /home/storage as the temporary mountpoint (you may have to create that folder if you're currently running on the root partition only) and then restart samba that will allow you to access the files from your workstation.