New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Shell rescue or reinstall system

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
86ivar

Shell rescue or reinstall system

Post by 86ivar »

Hi.

I will be away for a year and my B2 will be at a server room. If it somehow screws up, is there any possibility to remotely reinstall or rescue the system through shell? Assuming I leave the USB stick with the install files in.
If I go for reinstall I would like to preset the easyfind settings so I can find it from the outside. That possible?

(i reinstalled bubba twice recently due to an bug with backup that filled up system volume to an b2 -> unusable state)
Ubi

Re: Shell rescue or reinstall system

Post by Ubi »

not really, you need physical access to boot from the usb.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

It's not a complete solution, but you could extract the default /etc and /var from the installer package and copy them to your hard drive as bckup_etc/ and bckup_var/ them just rename them and reboot to return the B3 to something like the default config. You can also install the original list of packages using apt-get --get-selections and apt-get --set-sections.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

You will need physical access to reinstall the b2 if you cannot login from ssh, that's for sure. However I think you could do a reinstall (with easyfind configuration) from usb with an ssh connection following these steps :
  • Extract the install script from the key and modify it, so it would rename the install.itb file on the key before rebooting after the reinstall ; then add it to bubba.cfg configuration file so it will run when doing the reinstall
  • Configure the booloader to boot the rescue system by default and the disk in case of failure and reboot the server
  • After the reinstall, the b2 should boot on the disk.
Then to redo an reinstall, just rename the install.itb file on the key to his original filename and reboot the device.

Careful, changing the bootloader configuration without access to the serial console is risky...