New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Users path

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Cheeseboy

Re: Users path

Post by Cheeseboy »

I didn't get a "carl" directory either.
Perhaps you had some special attention? :-)
Anyway: this has gone WAY off-topic, and the OP hasn't even responded since your first reply.

We should have our little discussions elsewhere...
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Hello guys, sorry but holiday time ... :-)

Back to the topic:

As I wrote already I need to share one and only folder with friends on internet. And secured.

So how to set up my B3 to enable read/write to one specific folder dedicated to user "ABC" in the way he can not see all other folders ( i mean neither view nor write ).

For example I created user "ABC" ( webinterface ) and enabled FTP port forwarding in my router to B3. But with original configuration ( factory settings ) user "ABC" can see all content out of private folders of each other user (//home/username/private and mail ). That mean he can see everything i have stored in //home/storage. And i want to avoid this.
FTP is not encrypted and also this is question. How to share securely files.

Imagine that three families have been on vacation together and want to share photos, so how to in smart way enable it from my home to other two guys ?

So if this is possible it would be great to get step by step how-to.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Welcome back.
Did you bother to read anything of what was written in the thread?
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Yes, I have read it twice, but no sign how to do it. Slightly way how to change attributes, but no information on how to, neither how to securely access.
I am not a linux guru. So please in human speech :-)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

flimflam wrote:So how to set up my B3 to enable read/write to one specific folder dedicated to user "ABC" in the way he can not see all other folders ( i mean neither view nor write ).
You'll need to restrict access to those other folders. Long story, let's skip this for now...
For example I created user "ABC" ( webinterface ) and enabled FTP port forwarding in my router to B3. But with original configuration ( factory settings ) user "ABC" can see all content out of private folders of each other user (//home/username/private and mail ). That mean he can see everything i have stored in //home/storage. And i want to avoid this.
FTP is not encrypted and also this is question. How to share securely files.
Those are two questions in one. You should most definitely read this page for jailing users in their own home directory when using FTP. FTP can be tunnelled in SSH, but I think that may be too far fetched at this point. If you need secure transfer I suggest you use Bubba File Manager from HTTPS. And that is actually a really good idea as you may find that FTP can't be used from anywhere. There's no jailing users in this case though.
Imagine that three families have been on vacation together and want to share photos, so how to in smart way enable it from my home to other two guys ?
Bubba album could do that I think (don't use it myself). Just click the link "Manual" in the B3 main web page for instructions on how to use it.
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Than you Gordon, I have to contact my Linux friend, will show him this communication, and IF he will be unsure what did you meant I will announce again.
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Okay, so for guys familiar with Linux systems will be this quite clear ....

User " test " has limited access to B3,

mainly :
can access only video, music and upload subfolders on storage
can connect via WIN SCP

So to make it work login as root and...

Code: Select all

apt-get install acl
adduser test ( set some password ..)
vi /etc/fstab (add 'acl' for /home):
/dev/mapper/bubba-storage    /home    ext3    defaults,acl        0    2
mount -o remount /home

setfacl -m user:test:--- storage/*