New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 heating even if not ON.

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
flimflam

Re: B3 heating even if not ON.

Post by flimflam »

@ Cheeseboy - i have asked for some info regarding where to solder on board to get fan powered directly from the board...and than it can be itself controlled. But got not the right answer.

@ Gordon - Tellstick price including transport costs are so hight that it has no sense to buy
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Oh well, here comes the requested beeper script....

1. Become root.
2. Create a nice place for your script:

Code: Select all

root@b3:~# cd ~
root@b3:~# mkdir bin
root@b3:~# cd bin
3. If you haven't got hddtemp installed, install it:

root@b3:~/bin# apt-get install hddtemp
4. Create the file and make it executable:

root@b3:~/bin# touch tempbeep.sh
root@b3:~/bin# chmod 700 tempbeep.sh
5. Edit it with your faviourite editor (vim in my case):

root@b3:~/bin# vi tempbeep.sh
6. Enter the little script (edit to your preferences):

#!/bin/sh
MAXTEMP=40
CURRTEMP=$(/usr/sbin/hddtemp /dev/sda | /usr/bin/awk '{print $NF}' | /bin/sed 's/°C//')
if [ $CURRTEMP -gt $MAXTEMP  ];then
	/bin/echo 1 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/bubbatwo/buzzer
	# Probably do not want it beeping forever; you'd go mad, or the B3 might explode or something
	# Better shut it down after a while?
	/bin/sleep 30 
	/bin/echo 0 > /sys/bus/platform/devices/bubbatwo/buzzer
fi
6. Make it run automatically at intervals

root@b3:~/bin# crontab -e
Every 15 minutes or so?
Make a line like this at the bottom:

0,15,30,45 * * * *      /root/bin/tempbeep.sh
Then you only have to wait for the havoc...
Have fun! :-)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

@cheeseboy: having a device use tellstick to turn itself on is of course paradoxical. This will require a second computer that needs to be on to trigger the switch. Essentially this is no different from Wake-on-LAN, which also requires a different computer to send the wake signal.

@flimflam: there are cheeper options. For instance: both Nexa and Klik-aan-klik-uit ship the same 16 channel remote with timer function which sells at around 33 euro. I'm actually selling mine because I bought the Rfxcom transceiver which makes it redundant. Seeing you refer to Tellstick will probably mean that shipping costs will not make my second hand a very attractive option for you though. Obviously, when using independent timing devices you should leave a sensible period of time between performing a shut down of a single device and a shut down of something that functions as a master to that single device.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Gordon wrote:@cheeseboy: having a device use tellstick to turn itself on is of course paradoxical. This will require a second computer that needs to be on to trigger the switch. Essentially this is no different from Wake-on-LAN, which also requires a different computer to send the wake signal.
I very much agree. This was the whole point of buying the first Bubba Server in 2007 or whenever it was...
It was cheap to run, quiet, and could take care of all that crap (like turning on the "real computers" at home remotely). The B3 still does all of this and much much more, but it has had a lot of attachments glued onto it since the first lovely yellowy box arrived in the post way back. Like WifI, external disks, multiple NICs, switches, UPSes, USB Hubs, GSM devices, etc.
If it weren't for the non-existing fans in the devices and the friendly community, I would have given it up years ago.
Instead I have bought every single one of them.

The first one was really-really pretty...
Just look at it! (This was the first model before they increased the RAM from 64 to 128 KiB or something like that)
Pretty!
Pretty!
b1_front.png (198.7 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
It was of course not perfected yet, it needed little vents at the back...
Venting!
Venting!
b1_vents.png (132.55 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
But look at the back side! This is what we saw facing us every day, even though perhaps the designers thought you would put the useless front of a computer towards your face :-)

It even had a little bit of blinkenlights on the back, with the ETH port blinking occasionally, and you could see the HDD LED through the heat-went. And look at the label!
Attachments
Sticker with MAC-address - how cool is that?
Sticker with MAC-address - how cool is that?
b1_back.png (438.72 KiB) Viewed 6611 times