New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Installing NEW disc

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
johannes

Re: Installing NEW disc

Post by johannes »

Hi flamflam,

Read instructions on how to install on a fresh disk here.

Regarding 3TB it depends on how new your B3 is. The first we shipped did not have this support, and in this case you need to update the boot loader. If your B3 with 3TB disk does not boot after install, you need to follow this instruction to upgrade it to support 3TB, but chances are that you do not need that.

You can transfer the data in many ways, for instance using an USB disk for intermediate storage, or via a PC (transfer the data via network before removing the old disk). You can also connect the naked disk to your PC using a USB disk dock or similar, but you need the PC to run LInux and you need to know how to mount the driver properly (using LVM etc.).

Good luck!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
flimflam

Post by flimflam »

Than you Johannes, now it happened ...at least :-).
Almost everything went fine ... but I thought my brand NEW B3 would have 3TB disc support and it had not.
Now is everything OK!

For other users just unpack and copy install folder as written on wiky.
It is takes about 25 minutes to install whole system with 3TB WD Green.
Do not forget to update.. :-)
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

Johannes, I asked about this a couple of times on this forum but no official answer yet... are 4TB disks supported (WD Red 4TB, Seagate NAS 4TB, WD Green 4TB)? Will the work in B3?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

If you upgrade so that it supports 3tb, it should also support 4tb disks, as there is no subsequent issue between the two types.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Sorry, missed these questions, no, we did not officially test and validate 4 TB disks yet. They should work nicely though. My main concern is heat, but I read that the new 4 TB green disks are actually lower on power than the old 3 TB, which is a good indication.
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

Johannes, thank you for the info, I am glad to hear that... I presume the same is true for 5TB disks that are coming out at the end of the year (WD Red and Green)? Do you have any plans for testing these new 4TB disks, and later on 5TB disks?
johannes

Post by johannes »

Nothing decided but I'm sure we'll get around to do a new round of disk testing. I'd be happy if you would post on the forum if you test yourself.