New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How to backup to locally attached USB disk

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
GodfatherB

How to backup to locally attached USB disk

Post by GodfatherB »

Is there a simple way to backup (using this new backup in version 2.6) to a locally attachaed USB disk? By simple I mean through admin interface.
Gordon

Re: How to backup to locally attached USB disk

Post by Gordon »

I think the basic design of the backup procedure is specifically targeted towards this type of operation? The one trouble is that it does not work too well with non-linux file systems on that external disk.
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

OK, I guess I could write localhost in the admin (backup) page, but I still can't choose any of the locations (I wish to backup to locally attached USB disk), moreover I can't choose exactly what I wish to backup (except for complete home folder or complete storage folder, and some other 3 useless choices).

So, my questions remains... is there a simple way to handle backup in more detail and with more choices, or can I only use rsync for local backup via command line?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Well, if I go to the backup page and enter the `Add new backup job` dialogue it instantly shows me the two attached USB storage devices I have and a third option to add a new target. Am I correct to assume that you're seeing the add new target option only? If you go to the Disk menu, does the USB disk in fact show at all?
GodfatherB

Post by GodfatherB »

This was strange... I didn't see the connected USB Disk in the Backup menu, so I disconnected and connected it again, and now it is there. OK, this makes much more sense now. What about what to backup... the available choices are quite limited; is there a way to add more backup sources to the list (more refined choices)?