New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Movies freezes, smb share. harddrive problem?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
EAS

Movies freezes, smb share. harddrive problem?

Post by EAS »

Hi.

I'm running a b3 server and on it i have some movies and tv-shows stored.
I share this library with smb to a couple of xmbc clients and I sync my library with a mysql database to keep all my devices up to date.

This has been working really fine til lately. First HD-movies started to freeze and crash and I had to fast forward over the part where it crashed. Then it started to happen on SD movies and tv-shows as well.
First i thought my network was to slow so i upgraded all my network cables. Now all my switches etc are 1Gbit so network speed shouldn't be a problem.
But the problem just happens more and more often and I'm have started to fear that the hdd is about to crash.

Anybody else that got the same problem, or got a clue on what could be the problem?

I've been running this server for a while, like 1 or 2 years. Is it someway I could run some kind of defrag, or that wouldn't help at all?

Thankful for any help at all.
Nrde

Re: Movies freezes, smb share. harddrive problem?

Post by Nrde »

EAS wrote:Then it started to happen on SD movies and tv-shows as well.
When you move stuff to/from B3 what kind of speeds you get?

What are you using to watch the movies? Linux/windows/network media player?, what player?

I haven't had any troubles, but if I did, I would try to isolate the problem piece by piece.
drdr6

Re: Movies freezes, smb share. harddrive problem?

Post by drdr6 »

You could try a package like smartmontools to see if the disk itself has been logging errors or has run out of free blocks to substitute.