New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

ESATA not working

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
evaluation

ESATA not working

Post by evaluation »

Hi,

I just bought an external ESATA/USB case and tried to connect it to my b3.
Connection with USB is working as expected but ESATA seems not to be recognized.
DMESG shows no effect, fdisk /dev/sdb says "unable to open /dev/sdb".

What could I check. Do I have to enable something?
In the forum I read that some B3 are faulty in this point. How can I check if this is the case for my B3?

Greetings
Eva
evaluation

Re: ESATA not working

Post by evaluation »

Hi,

searched deeper in the forum and found some hints about cutting connectors as of connection problems.
Tried to connect the cable having disassembled the back plate of B3 before. Unfortunately the problem still exists. So I would say that there should be no physical connection problem.

Greetings
Eva
johannes

Post by johannes »

If you can't get it to work, please contact support@excito.com and we can help you.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
evaluation

Post by evaluation »

Hi,

I opened a support ticket.

In the meanwhile I continued testing.
Results: the new external case is working with my ESATA2ESATA cable when connected to a laptop.
=> so cable and case are ok.

Also tried to use a SATA2ESATA cable with direct access to the HDD (external powered). No success.

DMESG says "ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl F300)".
This is the result after reboot and after explicit rescan:

Code: Select all

cat "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host1/scan

Code: Select all

ata2: hard resetting link
ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl F300)
ata2: EH complete
I also reinstalled B3 with different internal HDD and checked the behaviour with base system (2.4) and updated system "2.6.0.1 sec".

At the moment I have no further ideas.

Someone here in the forum wrote that he had to cut off some plastic from the plug but did not mention where (the 1 mm hard plastic at the very end of the plug or rather the softer plastic where the fingers hold the plug [what could prevent the plug from being inserted completely because of the B3 case plate]) ?!

I also heard from 2 different plug sized (7mm and 10mm according to the metal part of the plug).
I have 10mm plugs.

Greetings
Eva
johannes

Post by johannes »

Most likely this is unfortunately a hardware issue with your motherboard, we have seen those in the past. Support will manage a motherboard exchange for you. Sorry for the trouble.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)