New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Squeezbox Duet and Spotify on B3

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
LarsH

Squeezbox Duet and Spotify on B3

Post by LarsH »

Hello

I wonder if it possible to run Squeezbox Duet and Spotify together witb B3. And how I should do this. I have read some topics about this from 2011 but I'm new and really don't now much about hot to install on B3.
Gordon

Re: Squeezbox Duet and Spotify on B3

Post by Gordon »

I think this web page answers that question. Yes you can.
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

Hello again

I'm sorry but I cant find how to install this. Do you know where I can find it ?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

From the page I linked:

Code: Select all

1) Make sure you are running 7.5.x or 7.6.x Squeezebox server, or 7.7.x LMS
2) (no longer necessary)
3) Select the "3rd party Spotify Plugin" from the recommended 3rd party plugin list and then click apply as per normal plugin installation
4) Ensure the server has restarted
4a) If your server machine has a firewall, ensure that the application "spotifyd.exe" or "spoitfyd" is allowed to receive incomming connections.
5) Go to the Plugin, Settings page for "Spotify" either via the advanced menu or from the plugin page
6) Read and agree the Spotify restrictions, then add your username and password to the settings page.
7) If you refresh the settings page a couple of times you should see that a "helper app" is running and it is logged into Spotify. If not there may be an error to help...
9) Go to the "radio" menu (7.5) or "my apps" (7.6+) on one of your hardware players and you should be able to browse and play tracks from Spotify....
LMS is part of your B3 installation, so all you need to do is enable it. Then go to http://B3:9000 (or whatever you renamed it to) which is the web frontend for LMS. It's been a while back for me, so I don't know if it starts requesting you to enter settings like which disk folders contain your music. Enter the settings menu (link at bottom right) and continue from #3 above.

If you have not done the pre #3 stuff before you should now get your Duet controller and enter the settings menu to change the music library from the default Logitech server to your B3. If all goes well you should see your Duet receiver get listed in LMS and be able to control it from that frontend as well.
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

Hello again

I understand now that I know to little about Linux and SSH.
How do I enable LMS ?
How do I get more information about how to use Linux for B3 ?

/Lars
johannes

Post by johannes »

Logitech Media Server is pre-installed, and you do not need to do any command-line stuff, it's easy. Do like this:

Log on to the admin web ui (http://b3), and go to "services". Somewhere by the settings you can turn on LMS. It defaults to read all music stored under /storage/music, but you can change this in the settings if you need to. LMS settings are available at http://b3:9000, but you normally don't need to change anything there.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ah! Then I did not change anything the first time I enabled LMS (or Squeezeboxserver as it was called back then). I did later on though, as I found that I needed playlists and didn't want to create a new folder directly beneath storage and that it also was not a particularly good idea to have the playlist folder be a part of the music folder.

Still one bit of grey as far as this particular question goes. The instructions state that the plugin requires some type of incoming connections but do not specify what these requirements are. I actually feel somewhat annoyed by the obvious ignorance that the developer shows by uncovering this requirement by starting his sentence with "if your server machine has a firewall". Who in their right mind would ever connect any server to the internet without a firewall? Not counting honey pots here of course.
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

Hello again

Now everything just works perfect, thanks for all the help !!
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Why would my internal media server for my home need a firewall if the network is behind a firewall? Apart from that, firewalls are often a cover up for poor service deployment.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ubi wrote:Why would my internal media server for my home need a firewall if the network is behind a firewall? Apart from that, firewalls are often a cover up for poor service deployment.
Ehhh... What did you drink tonight? Or rather: how much of it?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Oh no not another flame war, we were just getting along so well
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Flame?

I was just wondering how the idea got in your mind that the firewall in the B3 is either pointless or a sign that the B3 is equipped with bad software.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Please be so kind to not put words in my mouth or thoughts in my head by deliberately mis-interpreting my posts. If you want to discuss this matter either start a new thread or PM me. This thread is not the place for this discussion.
Fred

Post by Fred »

LarsH wrote:Hello again

Now everything just works perfect, thanks for all the help !!
Hi LarsH

Did you manage to play Spotify with your Squeezbox _Duet_ device?

In my Duet Controller I see the Spotify app, it opens nicely and shows all play lists and have search functions etc. But, when trying to play a file it says something about "incorrect file format" and refuses to play.

Can anyone confirm that the Spotify app can work with the Duet. If so, please share some ideas on how to get it to work?

From the offical mysqueezebox page it says that only Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Touch can work with the Spotify app so it doesnt look too promising...
LarsH

Post by LarsH »

My Squeezebox duet and Spotify has stopped working but the Internet radio and the music saved on
B3 is still possible to use on the Squeezebox.
1 I have selected the "3rd party Spotify Plugin" from the recommended 3rd party plugin.
2 My firewall has ”Spoitfyd" as a allowed
3)The b3:9000/settings/ doesn´t find my Squeeezebox I can’t understand why not. But still internet radio and music on the B3 is working……
4 When I do a ”Self test” for the Spotify installation from b3:9000/settings/ I get an error message
First the steps that works:
Helper app running Pass
Logged in Pass
Spotify metadata ok Pass
And now the step that won´t:
Streaming from Spotify failed
5 I have tried to run Spotify from my Iphone using the Wifi and that works.

What could be wrong ?