New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

eSATA not working my B3

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Alex_J

eSATA not working my B3

Post by Alex_J »

Hi there,

I've already used the contact form and the support-email from the homepage, but never recieved an answer.

I bought an eSATA case for an additional 1TB drive to connect it with my 1TB B3 for faster backups. Unfortunately and in contrast to the same case connected via its USB-port, this does not work. The drive doesn't appear in the web-GUI.
I've read the articels about some male plugs not fitting properly into the B3 and tried to cut i down a bit as described, didn't work as well.
I fear, that i have one of the problematic B3s, that were reported here previously.

I was already successfull at connecting the same external drive via eSATA to my windows PC, worked without problems.

Is there anything i can do, to check, if it's really the B3 mobo, or does it need replacement?

Best regards,
Alex_J
Ubi

Re: eSATA not working my B3

Post by Ubi »

The way to check is by accessing the machine via SSH. There are a lot of log files that can help you diagnose the problem. My suggestion would be to test a few things via that route first before sending in a RMA
Alex_J

Post by Alex_J »

Ubi wrote:The way to check is by accessing the machine via SSH. There are a lot of log files that can help you diagnose the problem. My suggestion would be to test a few things via that route first before sending in a RMA
Hi Ubi,

thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, I'm a total linux newb and have no idea about the log files you mention. Aren't these logs visiable via the web-interface? I understand that i can access the B3 via SSH and do stuff. I've even did that once with the help of the wiki. However i would need a step by step explanation what to do next or what to check next. Maybe a link would be helpfull already.

Thanks
johannes

Post by johannes »

I think this is a hardware issue, it is known to have happened on one batch of the B3 motherboard. I cannot find any open support tickets about this, @Alex_J, can you please let me know your ticket number, or create a new one (support@excito.com)? Thanks!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Alex_J

Post by Alex_J »

@Johannes:
Thank you for your effort. I think I already tried twice to wirte to the given support-adress but nothing happened afterwords. I think i never recieved a ticket number.

So i just wrote on the issue again. Hopefully it'll make it this time into the system.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Got it, thanks! We'll arrange a motherboard exchange for you.
Alex_J

Post by Alex_J »

johannes wrote:Got it, thanks! We'll arrange a motherboard exchange for you.
Hi Johannes,

I am kind of worried, that I haven't heard from you or any support member since your last post here and never got an email or support ticket.
I was quite busy with work but would finally like to move my home system to a new Mobo+CPU, so it would be great if I could get the B3 eSata working soon.

Best regards
Alex
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi Alex,

It could be in your SPAM folder, I was informed that this was handled. Can you give me the email adress (via PM) you are using when contacting support, so I can find the ticket? I can inform you on what's happening here through the forum (PM).

Thanks,
LinuxSam

Post by LinuxSam »

Seems I have the same problem. Is there a way to check if you have one of the bad motherboards?

I just bought a new external harddrive with esata just for the purpose of using it with my B3 and it doesen't show up in the webinterface and it doesn't give any messages in "dmesg" when I attach it. It did work without a hitch with my Debian GNU/Linux computer though.

I have no idea how long I've had my B3, but how long is this covered under warranty?

/Sam
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hi Sam, sure, there is actually a way to check, the best would be if you email support@excito.com and we'll help out from there. We will replace your motherboard under warranty regardless of how old your device is, since this obviously is a manufacturing fault.
LinuxSam

Post by LinuxSam »

Ok...

Seems I've got one of the broken ones... Will have to send it in for repair... problem is I'll probably be on vacation when it's returned...

Hopefully I can arrange to have it sent to my mother instead if it's not returned fast enough.

/LinuxSam
johannes

Post by johannes »

Sure, either you let us know when to return it, or give instructions with another return address, this is no problem. Really sorry for this trouble.