New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 as VPN server for safe surfing

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Anders_W

B3 as VPN server for safe surfing

Post by Anders_W »

Happy new year!

I'm trying to set up my B3 so that, when traveling and on insecure networks, I could VPN into the B3 and surf the web etc. through it.

I've been following the article "VPN (Virtual private network)" (dated 2011-09-08) which deals with setting up a VPN between two Bubbas, but should be useful for my kind of use as well.
(I have already installed Squid, with standard settings.)

I have made it up to the point now on both, issue "/etc/init.d/openvpn restart", but now there's trouble. The openvpn-service shuts down properly, but the restart is aborted with the message "Starting virtual private network daemon: server failed!". I can't seem to get past this. What to do?

I am also looking at the Wiki article "Tunnel DNS and web traffic through PPTP VPN", but that is only written for Windows users and I'm on a Mac. Any suggestions?

Finally: the first-mentioned article on VPN is meant for connecting two Bubbas to each other. Are there any other steps I need to take to be able to let the client computer (MacBook) surf the web through the B3? (Accessing the local files is nice and dandy, but getting web access too is even better.)