New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Why B3 is so slow?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
osa

Why B3 is so slow?

Post by osa »

Hi! After 2 years I'm using excito NAS again. My old B1 worked for 5 years and i was replaced by Zyxel NSA310. Now i gave a chance to B3 and i am little dissapointed.

On NSA310/320 i can get ~60-70MB/s read and ~40-50MB/s write speed (nastester) (Seagate 160GB/WD Blue 500GB /WD Red 3TB)
On Zyxel with WD Red i can get 144 MB/s read and 84MB/s write speed using dd (10MB blocks, 100 blocks from /dev/zero)

Nastester on B3 using shows 31-32MB/s read speed and 25MB write speed!
and with dd i can get 82 MB/s read speed and 57MB/s write speed

All units has the same cpu Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l) but NSA310 has 256MB ram and r8169 network chip

Why bubba is 50% to 100% slower? Can you confirm my results? Does it needs some tweaks?
flimflam

Re: Why B3 is so slow?

Post by flimflam »

So my transfer rates are similar. On GLAN 37MB/s download and 25 MB/s upload to B3. Cat. 6 FTP cables.
So for video streaming is OK but when more than 2-3 users will watch I am not sure.....

By the way is it possible to secure connect to your Zyxel NSA 310 from outside with SSH? Or similar encrypted connection?
osa

Post by osa »

@flimflam: You can replace firmware with debian or arch. Consider that it has only 256MB ram and noisy fan (which can be detached or controlled from command line).

BTW: I like B3's GUI but i expect more.
johannes

Post by johannes »

flimflam wrote: So for video streaming is OK but when more than 2-3 users will watch I am not sure.....
Just a note, streaming video is usually 2-5 Mbits/s, and never above 20 Mbits/s, whereas the B3 can stream at around 37 MBytes/s (= 300 Mbit/s), so more than those 2-3 users are not a problem.

Having said that we know what the top transfer speed to and from disk is not as high as some competitors, and this could of course matter when transferring large files on the local network, for instance to or from a new and fast computer (which can be faster than the 25-37 MByte/s we can provide).

Best,
/Johannes
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

osa wrote:@flimflam: You can replace firmware with debian or arch. Consider that it has only 256MB ram and noisy fan (which can be detached or controlled from command line).
That noisy fan allows it to have a high speed disk installed, giving you your speed. According to tests the transfer rates you get comply with random disk access on a WD green drive.

Personally I think the speed on the B3 is okay. It's a lot better than my Dune media player that also functions as a NAS.