New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Newer kernel/btrfs on B3

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
spitfire

Newer kernel/btrfs on B3

Post by spitfire »

Hi,

I wanted to put my data on btrfs on my B3 server, as it offers better protection, fs-level compression, COW snapshots, deduplidcation(...).
I've started with getting a minimal wheezy image (can't attach URL, because "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs.") on it, in order to get latest btrfs-progs, and newer kernel - 3.0.8.6 - that is attachec in beforementioned post.
As btrfs is still in development (although it works much better recently), I'd like to get as new kernel as possible. Is there a port of a 3.10-ish (or newer) kernel for B3 anywhere?
I've found something on ARCHlinux forums (can't attach URL, because "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs."), but it didn't work.

If there is nothing like this, could someone attempt to adapt existing patches for a recent kernel?

Cheers,
spitfire
Ubi

Re: Newer kernel/btrfs on B3

Post by Ubi »

The b3 kernel is available for you to patch, no need to hire someone else :D
spitfire

Newer kernel/btrfs on B3

Post by spitfire »

I have no knowledge about C/C++, and there might be a need to fix a thing or two when applying existing patches on top of a recent kernel source. I think we could all use a newer kernel and a newer Debian dist..
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Ah, you mean you want to pay someone on the forum to create a new kernel for you. Sorry I did not understand that from your previous post. It's probably easier if you could put such a question in the "announcements" forum rather than this support forum.
ryz

Post by ryz »

For running newer kernels on the B3 you should look into this thread. uboot update needed.
spitfire

Newer kernel/btrfs on B3

Post by spitfire »

@ryz thanks a lot for pointing me to this topic;)
@Ubi no, I'm not looking to pay for it, rather was looking for someone who did/was doing it.