New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 extremely slow, even after reinstall - hardware failure?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
rxmd

B3 extremely slow, even after reinstall - hardware failure?

Post by rxmd »

I'm having problems with my B3, it is extremely slow. I suspect a hardware failure.

At some point a week or so ago, accessing pretty much anything on the server became a pain. The web interface opened very slowly, it took the server about ten minutes to serve up the redirection page and then never went further. SSH logins worked, if slowly, and simple shell commands could be executed. However, even low-complexity programs (such as "htop") would open and then grind to a halt, even though CPU load is shown as very low. I did have a few high load applications running on the server (Crashplan, forked-daapd, Transmission), but disabling those didn't make a difference.

I reinstalled the server using the rescue USB image (keeping my data intact). That's when I started to suspect the hardware, because reinstallation took a few hours. It did go through fine. However, now booting up the B3 in this new clean state takes ages, I've been sitting here now for twenty minutes looking at a purple LED and don't know how long it will take.

What could be going wrong here? Should I plan on getting a replacement NAS box?
RandomUsername

Re: B3 extremely slow, even after reinstall - hardware failu

Post by RandomUsername »

Rather than reinstalling, can you try booting into the USB rescue environment and see if you get the same problem. If that's OK, then it could be your hard drive on the fritz.
rxmd

Post by rxmd »

I get the same problem. I would be surprised if it was the hard drive, though. Otherwise processes that are not hard-drive-dependent would work normally fast (why would an SSH session work fine when I list through directories or copy files, but lock up as soon as I fire up htop?). It seems that everything works as it should, it's just slow.
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi rxmd,

This is a complete wild stab in the dark and might (and probably is unrelated to your problem), but here goes:

I have on several occasions noticed a severe performance on the most simplest commands on various Linux machines.
On those occasions it turned out to be related to name resolution; in particular resolution of the hosts own name. I think this is why you often see the hostname listed as 127.0.1.1 in some distros which are likely to be occasionally connected. I think it is something that is (or was) done in some of the standard C calls, so it affected even the most simple and common commands/programs, but I'm just speculating.

I tried to reproduce it now on my laptop, but I couldn't, with all the resolvconf, dnsmasq and stuff running on it. But it might be worth looking into.

Good luck!