New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Easyfind down?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jmilton

Easyfind down?

Post by jmilton »

Hi,

Starting this morning around 7am BST I have been getting errors from easy find.

eg
Updating IP on file.
Wrote config to file
{"msg":"Unexpected HTTP status: Internal Server Error","opcode":16,"record":{},"error":true}

My IP address does not match that resolved by the name <xyz>.myownb3.com determined by ping.

Please could you investigate.

Thanks and regards
Ubi

Re: Easyfind down?

Post by Ubi »

<xyz> is not an allowed DNS name. If you do not supply real data it is not possible to investigate
if I try a normal name like "daniel.myownb3.com" it resolves just fine

so, please supply the error report with a reproducible example
jmilton

Post by jmilton »

<xyz> was just a placeholder as I didn't want to post my real server name on an open forum. I get enough hack attempts from the far east as it is!

Anyway .. easyfind appears to have started working again from 8 - 9 am yesterday morning.

Thanks and regards
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

In my experience hackers really can't be bothered by DNS names. They will just scan raw IP addresses for open ports that may contain an exploit. The logs I've kept since the PHP CGI exploit became known to the Bubba community support this, because if any hacker had used a valid DNS name for my B3 he would have got in, but none did.

If you have any issues with hacker from certain global regions attempting to misuse your B3, you might want to have a look at the geoip module for iptables which allows you to filter traffic based on ISO country code. You could also consider adding knocking to your B3; there's a daemon you can install for this, but there's also a very nifty set of iptables rules you can insert and that is actually a lot more robust than the daemon.
jmilton

Post by jmilton »

I've settled for tunnelling everything through ssh and using deny hosts.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

what does that have to do with easyfind?
jmilton

Post by jmilton »

Nothing to do with easyfind, going off topic on to security
jmilton

Anyone else ? Re: Easyfind down?

Post by jmilton »

Hi all,

Is anyone else having problems with easy find. I'm currently getting these errors and my IP address is not updating.

Updating IP on file.
Wrote config to file
{"msg":"Unexpected HTTP status: Internal Server Error","opcode":16,"record":{},"error":true}

I run easyfind hourly using cron, possibly that's why I see this more than others. May be that's the cause. I have never managed to get my B3 to detect an IP address change because although I have it configured as a router, it sits behind my ADSL modem.

I get the error if I run easy find from the web interface too.

Maybe a few people could try theirs and post results?

Thanks!
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

I also run a script every hour from cron that checks if my IP address has changed and only then calls the easyfind script. This was last called on 21st April and was successful (I don't get many IP address changes).

I have just run the easyfind script manually from the command line and get the same result as you do.

Updating IP on file.
Wrote config to file

Not sure if this is normal, if the IP address has not changed. Maybe someone can confirm this?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

No, this is not normal. It' a generic error that indicates an issue at the server level. This could be a timeout while accessing another server but that's just guessing.

BTW The current version of easyfind works different than before. The old version would check the WAN port IP address of the B3 itself - current version (very) regularly polls the easyfind server with a web call that exposes your public IP address. This is similar to services such as 'whatsmyip' and 'ipchicken' with the exception that it is limited to bubba users by requiring a unique identifier code to be sent along with the request.
johannes

Post by johannes »

Yes, I can confirm we have some issue, we are working on it.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
johannes

Post by johannes »

Should be up again now, sorry for the downtime! (Only updates were affected, so unless you got a new IP or tried to register a new name during the downtime, you were not affected).
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

I can confirm it's working now.

Thanks Johannes.
jmilton

Post by jmilton »

Working for me too. Thanks all
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

Hi,

Is anyone else having problems with easy find.
I'm currently getting these errors and my IP address is not updating.

Code: Select all

Updating IP on file.
Wrote config to file
{"msg":"Error: exception 'HttpInvalidParamException' with message 'Empty or too short HTTP message: ''' in /srv/easyfind.excito.org/update.php:0\n inner exception 'HttpRequestException' with message 'Couldn't connect to server; couldn't connect to host (https://54.247.92.107/pcbs/validate.json)' in /srv/easyfind.excito.org/update.php:341\nStack trace:\n#0 /srv/easyfind.excito.org/update.php(0): HttpRequest->send()\n#1 /srv/easyfind.excito.org/update.php(416): validate_production('##:##:##:##:##:...', '###########...')\n#2 {main} -- Empty or too short HTTP message: ''","opcode":16,"record":{},"error":true}
Thanks.
Last edited by wm.bubba on 24 May 2014, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.