New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B3 and PPPOE

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Maverisk

B3 and PPPOE

Post by Maverisk »

Hello,

I recently purchased a Excito B3 Home Server, but I forgot to check if it has PPPOE support...
As it happens my Internet Provider works on the upmentioned PPPOE, I have a Username and Password to activate my internet. So the reason why I came to this forum, is kind of the last hope I have for not spending 160 euros for nothing.

Does anyone have a tutorial that explains how I can install the PPPOE with the Username and Password?

Thank you very much
Gordon

Re: B3 and PPPOE

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

The factory installation of the B3 does not have PPPoE support. It is quite simple to add it though if you know your way around the linux console. This page explains what you need to install. The installer will directly enter ppoeconf which will autofind your ISP concentrator and ask you to supply your credentials.

Do note that you will also need to edit the firewall settings, because your WAN interface will now no longer be eth0 but ppp0.
Maverisk

Post by Maverisk »

Hello Gordon,

Thank you for replying and for your clarity... Gonna come back hopefully with a success story because I haven't the foggiest about Linux and everything. Can I install everything via Putty?

Thank you in advance
Maverisk

Post by Maverisk »

Hello again,

I have another question.

If I force install the PPPOE when I modify anything in the B3`s Graphical Interface will I loose the PPPOE setting and have to reenable it? Or once installed the only thing that will delete it will be a format?

Thank you in advance.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

The GUI will not touch anything that is not part of the Bubba system. It may however change settings that can affect services that you installed yourself. The only way to know for sure is to try.