New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

HDD spindown

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
mkc2lr

HDD spindown

Post by mkc2lr »

Yesterday, I received my B3, set it up (with several trouble), but finally it basically works now.
Just the HDD spindown doesn't work. No option in the web interface. Then I managed to SSH to the B3 as user. Obviously hdparm is not installed. But I didn't manage to install, no sudo, no root login workinig. I'm lost now...

Thanks for your help !
johannes

Re: HDD spindown

Post by johannes »

spindown is not officially supported (it's generally a bad idea for a drive in a server environment, because too frequent spin-ups harm the drive more than being constantly spun-up), but you can of course do it yourself if you know what you are doing. Search this forum and you'll find other people who have done the same.

Root login is stated in the users manual, so it's just to go ahead, you have full access!
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
mkc2lr

Post by mkc2lr »

You might be surprised, I'm using 4 different NAS and one debian 6 based Linux server. The first NAS already since 5 years. All are configured with HDD spindown. All are are used a few hours/day with sustained data transfer, then idle. Spin up cycles of the HDD's is lower than in my desktop.

Anyway, meanwhile I'm some steps further:
I managed to login as root, installed hdparm, but it doesn't spin down the disc after the time setting. Forced spin down works, but spins up after a short time. Then I tried HD idle. Also no success with the time setting. I also tried the laptop mode tools. Also no success.
Monitoring the disc R/W activities with iotop, I found that the B3 writes on the drive in 1-2 second frequency even if almost all services are disabled. (I only need samba)

Could you please advise how to prevent the B3 from the continuous HDD access? I think that this is anyway more dangerous for some HDD's than spindown depending on the HDD's LCC setup...
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

please read this thread first
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?t=3475
johannes

Post by johannes »

mkc2lr wrote:You might be surprised, I'm using 4 different NAS and one debian 6 based Linux server. The first NAS already since 5 years. All are configured with HDD spindown. All are are used a few hours/day with sustained data transfer, then idle. Spin up cycles of the HDD's is lower than in my desktop.
yes, as long as you can make sure spin-ups are not more frequent than that you are fine, but the B3 has so many services running that the disk would need to spin up much more often. This is why we don't allow the spin-down. You can manually make sure that the system does not access the disk so much, check the link Ubi refers to for some pointers.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
mkc2lr

Post by mkc2lr »

Thanks a lot for all the answers, also in the other topics.
As my expectation to the B3 was different than I actually experienced, I gave up. I thought that the B3 comes already with the common NAS functionality, and additionally I'm able to interfere if I want to. Actually it seems to be a lot of work to make it working as a usual NAS. But I currently don't have the time for this.
I bought another NAS, changed the HDD to the new NAS, configured it in 5mins and it works as expected. Unfortunately, any manual configuration is not possible there...