New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Shutdown and Wake on lan

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
mkc2lr

Shutdown and Wake on lan

Post by mkc2lr »

Shutting down the B3 logged into the console with "halt" doesn't completely shut it down, how can I shut down from the console?

Power-up: Does the B3 support wake on lan? I could see that the network activity status LEDs don't turn off even after shutdown by the web interface.

Thanks !
johannes

Re: Shutdown and Wake on lan

Post by johannes »

Try shutdown -r now?

And no, WOL is not supported, this is supposed to be an 24/7 product.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Should be

Code: Select all

shutdown -h now
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

no that does not work on the B3 (at least untill recently), you need to set a special magic key somewhere in /proc. If you don't do this the system will go into zombie mode.

Maybe I'm wrong and the behaviour of shutdown has changed in the last version. I dont turn off the B3 regularly
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Ubi wrote:no that does not work on the B3 (at least untill recently), you need to set a special magic key somewhere in /proc. If you don't do this the system will go into zombie mode.

Maybe I'm wrong and the behaviour of shutdown has changed in the last version. I dont turn off the B3 regularly
Well shutdown -r now will just reboot the system so that definitely won't work :). I thought -h did totally power off the server but I haven't done it for a while so I'm prepared to be corrected.
johannes

Post by johannes »

yes, sorry, I didn't read properly. I know the -r option works fine, but I can't say anything about the -h. Ubi is right, the button power down (= the web interface "shut down") sets a magic key somewhere in scratch RAM, which uboot reads. If rebooting with this magic key set, it pauses and waits for a keypress. This should mean that a regular shutdown -h now works, but can't be restarted using the button. (however, a power cycle will of course work).
Disclaimer: The above contains a little bit of guessing and I am not 100% sure of the details. I'm getting old. :)
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

According to MouettE @ 20 Oct 2013, 11:35 'halt' should be defined as:

Code: Select all

alias halt="/sbin/write-magic 0xdeadbeef && reboot"
Wake on LAN does not work with the B3. There's a howto topic on this subject.