New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

The new guy needs help

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
pixellegolas

The new guy needs help

Post by pixellegolas »

Hi guys! Dropping in first to say that I am the new guy who will probably have a lot of questions :)

I plugged in excito b3 recently and probably did some strange settings so I could not access anything. I then read about the rescue disc and made the usb.

I plugged in usb and rebooted according to instructions. The light first went green for a while, then purple and now a steady blue.

So, what do I do now? My setup is like this:

I have a thomson gateway (telia gateway in sweden) that acts as modem and router
My primary computer is a stationary comp with network cable attached to router. I run windows 8 and mostly plex on it.

I have a boxee box that I want to stream movies to and also access b3 etc

I have some wireless units like mobile, ipad etc.

What would be the setup and how to click them in menu?

By the way, when network cable is in WAN I can access b3 homepage but not login. When putting in LAN port I cannot access homepage.

Thanks for reading
Cheeseboy

Re: The new guy needs help

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi pixellegolas,

From your description it is a bit unclear what your setup is.
I will make some assumptions. If any of them are incorrect, please let us know all the details.
1. You need the Thomson device in order to get internet access from your ISP (Telia).
2. It has "router" features, probably several Ethernet ports and WifI
3. It has a firewall
4. It has some simple DNS forwarding solution so you can acess things on the Internet by name, but not your local machines on your home network

You will have to decide what you want to use the b3 for.
If it was not for point 1 above, I would get rid of the Thomson device entirely and replace it with the b3 as it does all those things and much more (and better) than the Thomson can (that's what I've done, but I have a fibre internet connection).
You can still do this even if you depend on the Thomson device to get internet access: just configure the Thomson device to forward all traffic to the b3 and let it take care of the rest (I have never owned a Thomson device, but both D-Link and Huawei seem to call this option "DMZ" in their settings menus). If you need multiple Ethernet connections in your home, you will also have to get an Ethernet switch behind the b3 (as it only has one "LAN" port"). My experience with the D-Link Boxee Box before I gave it away was that it was useless with WiFi.

On the other hand, if you just want a NAS, you should be able to connect the b3 to your existing hardware and do just that.
It is not clear if you have the WiFi model of the b3 or not...

Regarding the USB stick:
It can do several things, depending on how you configure the file "bubba.cfg" on the USB stick.
By default, it will repartition your disk, remove everything, and reinstall the OS. Basically a factory reset.
You can also make it just reinstall the OS, but keep all your photos, videos etc. if you saved them in the right place.
Or it can just launch the b3 in a mode where you can connect to it from another computer using a command line interface and fix any issues that might have occurred.
From your description, it sounds you have done the first thing: a complete reinstall:
The LED will be green when the USB stick does it things (partitioning, formatting, installing, etc.), then purple when it reboots after it is finished. Then blue after a successful reboot. What you do in this case, is hold the button on the backside until it shuts it self down, then remove the power plug, then remove the USB, and connect it to (depending on what you want to use it for) to the internet (WAN) and your intranet (LAN), or just your intranet (WAN).
In order to configure it however, it you need to connect to the LAN port.

If this is the case, it is just a case of picking up the quick-start guide again, and configure it.
Oh, and do a system update, as soon as you get it to connect to the internet.

So again some assumptions:
1. You have just got a fresh install.
2. You need the Thomson device to get internet access.
3. Said device has some Ethernet ports

If so, connect the WAN port of the b3 to one of the Ethernet ports of your Thomson, then connect your PC via Ethernet to the LAN port of the b3.
You Should be able to access it by name ("bubba", I think - again please refer to the manual - windows 8 should see it anyway under Devices) and configure it to your liking. There is a wizard for it under the "Settings" sub-menu when you log in as admin (perhaps not obvious, it is the last menu option).
If you have a WiFi model, it will not work until you set the timezone.
If you are using Apple stuff, you probably want to enable AFP under the services menu.

As for streaming videos to your Boxee Box, the DLNA service in the b3 will do the trick, but it does not work well with Boxee Box in my experience. Better to enable a network share (Windows share, or AFP, or even NFS - but the latter will require some command line tinkering) on your b3, and just map it as a resource in the Boxee Box.

Any further questions, please try to give as much info as you can.

Kind regards,

Cheeseboy
pixellegolas

Post by pixellegolas »

Hi! Thanks for taking your time for such a thorough explanation.

It is correct that I do need the thomson device because it is also giving me digital-tv through some weird cables :) It has 4 LAN ports and also wifi.

-The B3 is the wifi edition with HUGE antennas :)

-The boxeebox is connected with cable directly to thomson

-The main computer is connected directly with cable to thomson, but...it is connected with the cable trough the electric socket, you know those extending network thingy

The weird thing is that I got the b3 homepage working in WAN but I dont have access so I dont know what I did wrong there. I will try again with what you wrote to see if it works better.

By the way, I have installed custom firmware on boxee so it now runs xbmc also. Maybe better with that?

Thanks for the help!
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi,

The admin page in the B3 is accessible through the internet (anything coming in through the WAN port), but for security reasons you are note allowed to log in as admin when coming through that port.
To configure it, you must connect through the LAN port.

I never managed to get XBMC to work on the bloody BoxeeBox. Bought a new HTPC and installed XBMC under Ubuntu on it instead :-)

Cheers,

/Cheeseboy
pixellegolas

Post by pixellegolas »

So I made some progress. I hooked up the router to B3 WAN port. I then put main computer to LAN. Everything is working with B3 homepage. I can make accounts, access everything. Made software update and checking harddrive I can see partition etc. But, I cannot see the harddrive in windows explorer anywhere

Ok, new update. When I go to network settings and choose server only, hell breaks loose. Or...nothing happens :) I cannot access homepage and internet does not work on main comp that is connected to the B3. Have to plug it out. What can I do next?
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Try typing either \\b3\ (or whatever name you have given your B3) of \\192.168.10.1\ or its IP-adress in the adress bar at the top of the explorer window. This should (after typing your username/password) give you a window showing two shares: home and storage. If you then rightclick on the home share you should get the option: map network drive. You may then assign a driveletter to the B3.

Martijn
pixellegolas

Post by pixellegolas »

Yeah, that helped alot. But I don't have access to home folder. Trying both admin login and user login. I guess it could be windows related?

PS. I can enter STORAGE and put movies in videos and stream without problem now. Do I need access to home?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

not necessarily.

Access to home can be quirky if you made a user on the B3 that is identical to the username you use on windows, *BUT* with a different password. If this is the case, you may want to try using the NET USE command on the windows command line to mount the home folder.
pixellegolas

Post by pixellegolas »

So I got everything working and managed to map it all to a drive etc. Now I was away for vacation so turned everything off. Now when plugging in everything it does not find b3 anymore. Do I need to boot up in a special way? Shouldnt everything just work if it was setup before? :)
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

did you try mounting based on the IP address?
pixellegolas

Post by pixellegolas »

I cannot connect to the homepage or anything now. I see in router homepage that b3 has ip but it cannot access it when trying
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

so in windows command line can you ping the IP address of the B3?
pixellegolas

Post by pixellegolas »

Destination host unreachable

Is it normal that something happens when we unplug b3 and put it back?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

No, and it's not even certain the problem is in the B3. You have a connectivity problem.
Because you are extrmely scarce with details, we need to do this the helpdesk-way

1) what colour is the light on the front side of the B3?
2) did you fully verify all internet cables between your computer and the B3
3) did you verify that the IP that the router has for the B3 is correct, and that this really is the IP you are pinging.

The thing is, if your router really can see the B3, there is a network connection between the two. That means the ping should work. So either the router does not really see the B3 whilst claiming it does, or you are not connecting to the B3 because of some technicality on your end (like entering the wrong IP address, or mis-interpreting the results).

Anyway, if you keep reporting "I try and I cant connect" it will be near impossible to help you.
pixellegolas

Post by pixellegolas »

Sorry about being scarce with details. It was based on that everything worked fine and I just unplugged and replugged. Thought it could be enough info :)

The light is blue and I have also restarte yet again. I will now do some more cable checking etc. I will get back to you

......Ok, just plugged out the powervord for 15 seconds and put back and turned on the B3...now it works!

That is very strange but I am very glad it now works. Thanks for taking the time to try to "helpdesk" me with my low-info questions :)