New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Is Easyfind down?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
madmud

Is Easyfind down?

Post by madmud »

Hi,

Recent problem: My B3 is noticing the change of IP address (from a forced reboot of my router) but external access is still not working. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
OlivierC

Re: Is Easyfind down?

Post by OlivierC »

Yes, Easyfind service is currently down
:(
http://forum.mybubba.org/viewtopic.php? ... 662#p26082

@Ubi
How to reconfigure B3 to use the new ntp pool?

Windows user here,
Please be as detailed as possible in your instructions.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

There is not really a point in changing this except to legal reasons regarding ownership of the excito name. The NTP service will not drop due to Excito being in bankruptcy,

If you still insist, then you log into the SSH shell of the bubba and edit the file named "/etc/ntp.conf" where you replace
server 0.excito.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.excito.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.excito.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 3.excito.pool.ntp.org iburst

by

server 0.mybba.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.mybba.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.mybba.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 3.mybba.pool.ntp.org iburst
OlivierC

Post by OlivierC »

Currently, when i click button Update Easyfind through web GUI:
Settings > Identity > Easyfind options

nothing happened (no update message) and i can't access http://myb3namehere.myownb3.com

It was working one week ago.

I tried from shell to launch
/usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl
Updating IP on file.
Can't open /etc/network/easyfind.conf : Permission denied at /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl line 88.
I have a dynamic IP address assigned by ISP renewed after one week (duration max 7 days) and hope to be able to continue using this functionality (Easyfind).
johannes

Post by johannes »

We will try to fix this tomorrow. I will keep you updated.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
OlivierC

Post by OlivierC »

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Banan

Post by Banan »

Hi Y'all,

Are the easyfind (xyz.myownb3.com) down temporarily or permanently ?

Best Regards Bjorn
OlivierC

Post by OlivierC »

I noticed the same.

Since Excito bankruptcy, UBI has successfully managed keeping 'Easyfind' location service online.

Forum was last visited by UBI:
21 Nov 2014, 15:07

Hope he will connect again on forum soon, reading news posts (especially this one) and restore service availability quickly.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

MouettE may in fact know more, and be able to do more, since he's involved with the party that took over the Excito brand and domains. At present, it appears that all self-owned servers of Excito have been shut down and this includes the name servers for the myownb?.com domains. This may very well be permanent, depending on whether the new owner allows Ubi to change some of the addresses to point to his servers, but also if Ubi is still allowed to service these commercially owned domains.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

As a matter of fact I don't know much more than you do. We have indeed taken over the domains but we didn't touch any of the DNS domains configuration. We just made sure that everything was paid for the next six month. The name servers for myownb*.com are ns1.excito.org and ns2.excito.org and both points to adresses in sweden. I don't really know how Ubi and johaness organized the whole thing. Let's hope that they will hang around here in the next few days !
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

AFAIK all the servers were in the cloud and I suppose they were taken down when Excito stopped paying for them. Ubi did copy all of the content to two of his own servers, but only transferred ef.excito.org - I think not even with the intention of leaving it that way, but as a test to see what impact the easyfind service would have on CPU usage. Theoretically bringing easyfind back up should be as simple as relocating the DNS records for the excito.org servers to Ubi's servers at Ideeel, but as said there may be other - non technical - issues that prevent this.
johannes

Post by johannes »

I think Ubi has to clarify this, but if I remember correctly the technical parts of the migration is done now, right? Including easyfind.excito.org and it's "production" database (managing authentication of the B3's requesting the IP change). I think the remaining part is managing the domains, Ubi wasn't happy to continue using *.myownb3.com since the community didn't have control over them, and chaning domains requires updating the B2/B3 software, which in turn is a some work someone has to do. But now with MouettE taking over these, this might be considered solved? Keeping those domains would for sure make things easier.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

I think I can convince Rodeus people to transfer these domains to Ubi's control. No guarantee here but if Ubi is ok it would probably be the simplest solution.
johannes

Post by johannes »

I forgot to mention it but another issue is that we need people chipping in with work, perhaps mainly IT admin work, to help Ubi out. He has already spent a significant amount of time backing up and setting up clones of the Excito servers, and I assume he would appreciate a helping hand. He has to clarify what work exactly himself though.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Sorry was away for a few days. The replacement easyfind is completely active depending on dns changes @excito.org. I will read the above comments now