New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Is Easyfind down?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Ubi

Re: Is Easyfind down?

Post by Ubi »

there's still a problem with secret-key translation though. A fair few machines do not get proper updates because the secret is mangled. This I think has always been the case though (i never changed that code).

The problem really seems to be in the original code, on both ends of the interaction. The client sends updates that is likes a new IP address. If server then cannot find client MAC, it inserts a new record, but doesnt fill in the preferred hostname. It cannot do this because client does not supply this information. However the reality is that because of this , server creates an incomplete record in the hwlist table which breaks the code later on.

Now I changed the code that it doesn't insert a record into hwlist if it doesn't have the hostname. I tested deleting, creating, renaming a host and it seems to work fine.
Last edited by Ubi on 03 Dec 2014, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
Puma

Post by Puma »

Dear Ubi,

First of all thank you very much for your time and effort!

I tried the easyfind with:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl
{"opcode":1,"record":{"domain_id":"1","content":"##.##.54.207","name":"###.myownb3.com","type":"A","id":"84"},"error":false,"operation":"IPupdate"}

First time I did this my old IP address was shown.
So I did an update in the b3 and b2 webinterface which was succesfull

After that I got the right IP address when doing /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl

Tested:

host -s ####.myownb3.com ns1.mybubba.org
Using domain server:
Name: ns1.mybubba.org
Address: 95.170.90.16#53
Aliases: ###.myownb3.com has address ##.##.54.207
This looks OK to me as well.

But when I try to connect with the browser to http://###.myownb3.com it fails, should I use a different link?

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

you need to restart your browser. These days browswers have an internal DNS cache that changes slowly. If you want to knwo what your OS thinks the IP is, just "ping yourname.myownb3.com"
Puma

Post by Puma »

Ubi,

Thanks that did the trick It works perfectly now!

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
kruemelprinz

Post by kruemelprinz »

Dear all

thanks for your efforts trying to help us out with the easyfind problem.
As gordon recommended, I tried to force an update of my easyfind record by disabling the function in the webadmin interface and then registering again. One positive thing here is that, when enabling easyfind again, I get a message saying "update successful". Previously, I got a timeout connecting to the service.

Testing easyfind with /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl yields the following result:

{"opcode":1,"record":{"domain_id":"1","content":"92.***.***.***","name":"****.myownb3.com","type":"A","id":"2135"},"error":false,"operation":"IPupdate"}
It shows the right IP adress, but when I try to ping my adress, it does not find the host

ping ****.myownb3.com
ping: cannot resolve ****.myownb3.com: Unknown host
Connecting to ****.myownb3.com via browser fails (after clearing cache and doing browser restart).

A fair few machines do not get proper updates because the secret is mangled.
As already earlier mentioned, I did not have any problems with easyfind previously, so I assume that I should not be one of these?

Is there anything more to test to provide you with more info?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

the problem is on your end. My guess is that you first pinged your machine, and then updated easyfind. This first ping loaded the cache of your upstream DNS provider, and thus it takes a while for the change to propagate.

C:\Users\ubi>ping su****drobert.myownb3.com
Pinging su****drobert.myownb3.com [92.*.*.117] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
kruemelprinz

Post by kruemelprinz »

Ubi wrote:the problem is on your end. My guess is that you first pinged your machine, and then updated easyfind. This first ping loaded the cache of your upstream DNS provider, and thus it takes a while for the change to propagate.
OK, thanks for checking that. Well actually I turned off/ restarted easyfind in the webadmin interface first. I then pinged *****.myownb3.com both from my mobile internet device and from home (which of course is the same IP as the B3). Both ping attempts failed.

Now I even tried to use another unique easyfind name and updated via webadmin interface. It said "update successful". When I ping the new *****.myownb3.com, I get the same error:

ping test***.myownb3.com
ping: cannot resolve test***.myownb3.com: Unknown host
although

{"opcode":1,"record":{"domain_id":"1","content":"92.*.*.*","name":"test***.myownb3.com","type":"A","id":"2139"},"error":false,"operation":"IPupdate"}
The new name should not be in any DNS provider caches, as it was never used before. Is there anything else I can do to search for the error causing the problem?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

If you would change your DNS settings to ns1.mybubba.org then the change would be instant. The problem with this is that you won't be able to get an address for hosts that are not in myownb?.com. The change has to propagate throughout the whole of the internet and how fast that goes depends on the Time To Live (TTL) that has been set on the records, the amount of 'hops' that are in between mybubba.org and the DNS server that your are using. And chance. Because if TTL is set to e.g. 1 minute, every hop can take up to 1:59.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Ns1.mybubba.org will not act as a recursive ns, so setting ns1.mybubba.org in resolve.conf would be foolish.

However he's not getting the wrong ip, he's getting a failure to resolve. Its almost like he's still asking the old nameservers. In that case, try

dig -t ns myownb3.com
and see what that gives. In any way, the problem is on the client side. The database received your update and i showed you i can resolve your b3 without issues.
kruemelprinz

Post by kruemelprinz »

dig -t ns myownb3.com

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> -t ns myownb3.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 7423
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;myownb3.com.			IN	NS

;; Query time: 36 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec  3 20:49:40 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 29
192.168.1.254 is my internal Thompson modem/router IP.

Unfortunately, I have no idea at all what this is telling me.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

You did not get an answer, This means your local DNS server (192.168.1.254) is buggered. You should get this:

[root@php-sites ~]# dig -t ns myownb3.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.30.rc1.el6 <<>> -t ns myownb3.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43818
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;myownb3.com.			IN	NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
myownb3.com.		86400	IN	NS	ns2.mybubba.org.
myownb3.com.		86400	IN	NS	ns1.mybubba.org.

;; Query time: 53 msec
;; SERVER: 80.69.67.66#53(80.69.67.66)
;; WHEN: Wed Dec  3 20:57:12 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 76
if 192.168.1.254 is your router, then you need to go to another forum, or start another thread. This is not an easyfind problem so for clarity sake lets not continue here.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Ubi wrote:Ns1.mybubba.org will not act as a recursive ns, so setting ns1.mybubba.org in resolve.conf would be foolish.
That was what I said. I just used more words for `not recursive`. The word of interest - although unspoken - being patience. It will most likely work by now.

PS The router in question may in fact not support the operation requested. This is hinted by the fact that if it was showing expired info, it would have reported ns?.excito.org.
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

Thanks for all the hard work on getting Easyfind up and running again.
But all is not well.

Running /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl now gives:

wies@b2:~$ sudo /usr/lib/web-admin/easyfind.pl
Updating IP on file.
Wrote config to file
{"opcode":1,"record":{"domain_id":"2","content":"###.###.241.41","name":"###.myownb2.com","type":"A","id":"1544"},"error":false,"operation":"IPupdate"}
and checking the namesavers:

wies@b2:~$ host -s ###.myownb2.com ns1.mybubba.org
Using domain server:
Name: ns1.mybubba.org
Address: 95.170.90.16#53
Aliases: 
###.myownb2.com has address ###.###.7.45

wies@b2:~$ host -s ###.myownb2.com ns2.mybubba.org
Using domain server:
Name: ns2.mybubba.org
Address: 95.170.90.19#53
Aliases: 
###.myownb2.com has address ###.###.241.41
ns1.mybubba.org has been correctly updated, but ns2.mybubba.org still has the IP address it had yesterday.
Testing this with 'ping' sometime gives me the IP address from ns1 and sometine the one from ns2.

Hope there's an easy solution to this!
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Thanks. Good report. I'll try to see why the slave isnt updating asap
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

replication issue fixed and tested for domain-record 1544