New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Is Easyfind down?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Ubi

Re: Is Easyfind down?

Post by Ubi »

Gordon wrote:AFAIK all the servers were in the cloud and I suppose they were taken down when Excito stopped paying for them. Ubi did copy all of the content to two of his own servers, but only transferred ef.excito.org - I think not even with the intention of leaving it that way, but as a test to see what impact the easyfind service would have on CPU usage. Theoretically bringing easyfind back up should be as simple as relocating the DNS records for the excito.org servers to Ubi's servers at Ideeel, but as said there may be other - non technical - issues that prevent this.
This is incorrect. The full functionality has been copied and tested. The mybubba.org servers can replace the old infra 100%, requires no changes or configuration at the user end.
kruemelprinz

Post by kruemelprinz »

Ubi wrote:This is incorrect. The full functionality has been copied and tested. The mybubba.org servers can replace the old infra 100%, requires no changes or configuration at the user end.
Hmmm. I did not even know about the sad thing with excitos bankruptcy, and everything worked just fine for me with easyfind until 21 november when I suddenly could not reach my B3-owncloud from work. So I understand what Ubi says because it obviously worked well after the transfer from Excitos servers.

So does anybody know what the problem is now? Is it for some reason working again for someone else than me?
Puma

Post by Puma »

It does not work for me, my father, brother in law as wel. So i am thinking of change the bubba setting as mentioned above.

So i don't belief it is working.
Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

We are currently working things out with Ubi as fast as we can. I hope it will be soon working again.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Maybe my last post was confusing: Although the functions of the easyfind have been copied, they were not yet activated. This is because the original easyfind was still working fine and there was no direct need.

Now that easyfind has stopped without announcement, we did end up in the unfortunate situation that there is downtime. In principle the solution is just a change in the DNS settings for myownb3.com and myownb2.com. I expect these to propagate within the next day or so, and we have operational easyfind once again.
ther

Post by ther »

Ubi wrote:Maybe my last post was confusing: Although the functions of the easyfind have been copied, they were not yet activated. This is because the original easyfind was still working fine and there was no direct need.

Now that easyfind has stopped without announcement, we did end up in the unfortunate situation that there is downtime. In principle the solution is just a change in the DNS settings for myownb3.com and myownb2.com. I expect these to propagate within the next day or so, and we have operational easyfind once again.
Awsome! The fact that someone else does this on their own time and without compensation is just super and admirable. Hats of to you!

Thank you kindly!
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Everything should be operational now. Please let us know if you still have issues. Please be as detailed as you can be (i.e. "It doesnt work" is not helping...)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Code: Select all

dig myownb3.com ns

; <<>> DiG 9.10.1 <<>> myownb3.com ns
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 24828
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1480
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;myownb3.com.			IN	NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
myownb3.com.		86400	IN	NS	ns1.mybubba.org.
myownb3.com.		86400	IN	NS	ns2.mybubba.org.

;; Query time: 27 msec
This looks good

Code: Select all

dig easyfind.excito.org

; <<>> DiG 9.10.1 <<>> easyfind.excito.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 53254
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;easyfind.excito.org.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
easyfind.excito.org.	48	IN	A	109.74.2.52

;; Query time: 0 msec
This doesn't. People won't be able to update their address if this one is not relocated as well. Unless of course they change the easyfind scripts on their B2|3...
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Thanks for this pointer. No the goals is that users do not need to change anything. So this indeed needs to be addressed. I'll ask Mouette to change this in DNS via PM.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

One more issue:

Easyfind.excito.org needs to be https. Macaroni does not appear to be running that protocol.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Tnx. At first glance I thought this would be an easy fix, but my guess is this will not work with a self-signed cert, and I don't know if I can get a startSSL cert without access to the postmaster@excito.org mail account.
Mouette can you help out here?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I just did a quick check. The perl LWP module does in fact appear not to verify the certificate. It will even pass if the server name is incorrect. Therefore, both the button in the admin pages and the dhcp exit hook should work with a self signed certificate.

The bubba-easyfind service, which uses python (twistd), is a bit harder to verify. This one may fail with the self signed certificate.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

I'll try a self-signed cert first and see if it breaks :)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

If you set up your own CA, you can also push it to the bubbae through an update while at the same time removing the dependencies towards the excito.org domain. These are in some 5-10 files only, so it's not that big a deal. It also makes a lot of sense to be your own CA in this case, because it's only bubbae connecting to the easyfind server and they don't need some paid authority to confirm that you are mybubba.org.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

yes, there's quite a few things to adjust, but it's really up to the new owner of the excito.org domain.

anyway, macaroni is now listening on https with a self signed cert. As I'm not at home I cannot check if it works. But because easyfind.excito.org still points to 109.74.2.52 instead of to easyfind.mybubba.org, probably there's still problems.