New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Upgrade disk to 6TB

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Palpatine

Upgrade disk to 6TB

Post by Palpatine »

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding an Update of the Disk of my Excito B3. I received a 6TB WD RED Disk (WD60EFRX) and I tried just to replace the existing 2TB WD Disk and reimage the B3 That did not really work (Pink blinking LED) means, as far as I found out, that the Disk is not recognized. So my question now is. I read here that some people could make it run with the 6TB WD disks. I must admit that i am not very familiar with the linux config but i assume that you must somehow use another format and or config compared to the original image. Is there anyone that could help me out with it and maybe explain me how i could make it work? That would be awesome and maybe other people would like to do the same.

Thx for any advice.

Best regards Palpi
johannes

Re: Upgrade disk to 6TB

Post by johannes »

i don't know how old your B3 is, but the earlier batches had a boot loader limited to 2TB. You can update this yourself quite easilly:

http://wiki.mybubba.org/wiki/index.php? ... _3TB_disks

Apart from this, my guess is that 6TB disks should work just fine (we have reports on 4TB disks working)..
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
Palpatine

Post by Palpatine »

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for your fast reply. Well somehow It struggles or I maybe missunderstood something.

1. Is it normal that when I try to install that fix that all the NIC leds blink the exito starts with green light and after i let go the "start" button it turns into pink and blinking?

That led me to the question does the USB Stick need a certain formatation? NTFS / FAT / EXT3? must it be "bootable" or so?

2. When I try to install the image the blinking purple led is coming back again so i think:

a) the disk isn ot proberly in place (going to recheck that tomorrow) or b) the USB Stick is somehow not correctly formated or so and it cannot be read.

3. Does it matter in which USB port I use the stick?

Sorry I know you dont have to help me / us out anymore but I hope you still find the time to help me out. Appreciate it

Best regards from Switzerland.

Palpi
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Define: 'normal'. Your USB stick is not working and the B3 falls back to attempt booting from disk.

Which port you connect it to should not make a difference. Do unplug any other USB devices you might have though, because u-boot is programmed to only look at the first USB device it encounters. It has to be FAT formatted, FAT32 will work but FAT32X most likely not. Issues with devices not working at boot time are reported all over the net. Most reports are about "device not ready", but obviously you can't see that on a headless device like the B3. If it doesn't work, try a different USB stick. Most of the older ones will work, specifically the ≤ 2Gb ones, although I do own a 1 Gb stick myself that I've never been able to access with anything other than Windows.
Palpatine

Post by Palpatine »

Hi guys,

Okay... I have no clue why but it does work now. Maybe the disk was not properly in place (hard to believe) or the usb stick was somehow not working (did try another one) but now i am up and running.

Thank you for your input and your help. Apreciate it.

Best regards

Palpi