New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

How to replace hardrive?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
artoo

How to replace hardrive?

Post by artoo »

Today my B3 just won't listen to my network requests. The LED is green and a restart did not help.
I cannot ping or anything. I'm using a static IP and the Network LED is blinking.
I would like to remove the disk and put it in my computer for analysis. Is there a best practice manual on how to remove the hard drive without damaging the other electronics?

Also while am at it. Can you recommend a similar product to replace my B3 if its dead?
I want something that is easy to manage, have FTP & SMB and supports disk mirroring with 2 HDD.
Ubi

Re: How to replace hardrive?

Post by Ubi »

If you ever opened a regular PC then this is not more difficult. The manual you received tells you how to replace the disk.

As for an alternative to a bad B3, the answer on this forum will be: another B3! The Excito shop is once again open and you can buy brand spanking new B3s today!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I thought it was time for me to share my own new disk disappointment.

I got myself a brand new (diskless) B3 to place at my parents home and a new WD Red 3TB. Installed the disk, put the B3 install USB in first as I figured I could just as well verify if I could update it to the current software version after that (as requested by MouettE), and..... nothing.

Then I got the Gentoo Live USB that I used for my own B3. It boots different, with the front led switched off during kernel loading and then coming back on after some 30-40 seconds. This time, you surely guessed.... nothing.

So I wrote the nodisk Live USB onto a brand new stick and on it came. Verified the U-boot version that it was able to access the disk, which was fine, but the B3 did not see any disk.

So as a last resort I attached it to my desktop system, saw it popping up during POST once, generating a bunch of "SRST failed: err -16" messages (drive not responding) and then it was gone forever. I spent over two hours on a DOA :evil:
johannes

Post by johannes »

artoo wrote:The LED is green
Before you run away with this, a green LED on B3 means it starts in install mode, and the only way this can happen is either a motherboard hardware failure, or that the rear button is constantly pressed. So please check that the rear button isn't accidentally pressing against something.
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)