New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Debian dist-upgrade on B2 & B3

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
paulchany

Debian dist-upgrade on B2 & B3

Post by paulchany »

Hi,

these days come out the new Debian release, the so called Jessie.
I have running the Wheezy Debian system without Bubba packages, but Bubba kernel, on my Bubba 2.

Is it safe to dist-upgrade now from Wheezy to Jessie?

I have installed Bubba kernel:
Linux b2 3.2.62-1 #1 Mon Aug 25 04:22:40 UTC 2014 ppc GNU/Linux

What should be happen with this installed kernel if I just dist-upgrade?
How to prevent to get automatically removed this installed kernel?
Should run Jessie with this Linux b2 3.2.62-1 kernel too?
Best, Pali
UserNew

Re: Debian dist-upgrade on B2 & B3

Post by UserNew »

Hi
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
hostnamectl
See ;-)
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)
UserNew

Post by UserNew »

Debian 8 SSH Conection ist default
Not PermitRootLogin
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

UserNew wrote:Hi
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
hostnamectl
See ;-)
OK but what linux kernel do you have?
What is the output of the following command:

uname -a
On my Bubba 2 it is:
Linux b2 3.2.62-1 #1 Mon Aug 25 04:22:40 UTC 2014 ppc GNU/Linux
Best, Pali
UserNew

Post by UserNew »

Hello
I had the same kernel
paulchany

Post by paulchany »

UserNew wrote:Hello
I had the same kernel
After the command

apt-get upgrade
I get these warnings and errors:
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.62
WARNING: missing /lib/modules/3.2.62
Device driver support needs thus be built-in linux image!
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.2.62: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
W: mdadm: no arrays defined in configuration file.
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_MtLK7c/lib/modules/3.2.62/modules.order: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open /var/tmp/mkinitramfs_MtLK7c/lib/modules/3.2.62/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
Had you get these messages too?

However, at the end I have success:

hostnamectl
Static hostname: b2
Icon name: computer
Chassis: n/a
Machine ID: 0aa8a36d8f198e6f98439baf00000012
Boot ID: e825f9f63d54476299b1b2531311b207
Kernel: Linux 3.2.62-1
Architecture: ppc
Best, Pali
orn

Post by orn »

I quickly visited this forum yesterday and though this sounded great. Squeeze is quite dated and I've wanted to upgrade for a while but I didn't think a vanilla jessie upgrade would work.

First off, did this really work for you once you rebooted? Anyone running the b3 with jessie? I tried it and it didn't work. :shock:

I first upgraded to wheezy and then to jessie (without rebooting). It displayed a warning about udev and the old kernel I was running. I ignored it since I though that only wheezy didn't work properly with b3 and forced the installation.

Now it won't boot for me. Is there any error log I can check? I've successfully started it with a live image, used some bind mount tricks and chrooted into the fs. Not sure what my next move should be. Can I install a new kernel and hope for the better?

I hope my stupidity brought some laughs. :mrgreen:
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

I am not surprised that jessie would not boot with the 3.2.x series kernel. It probably lacks some options for systemd to work properly.

However I am currently preparing fresh jessie images for the b3. These will be based on the 3.18.x kernel branch and kernel packages are ready. You can install it inside your chroot with these commands :

wget http://repo.excito.org/pool/main/l/linux/bubba3-kernel_3.18.20-1_armel.deb
dpkg -i bubba3-kernel_3.18.20-1_armel.deb
Try to reboot and see what happens !
orn

Post by orn »

Awesome! Images with jessie sounds great. Thank you doing all of this.

I originally had the 1:2.6.39.4-11 kernel installed. Tried both 3.2.62-1 and 3.18.20-1 but no luck.

Sorry for being such a newbie but don't I need to run some command to update the kernel after install? I've only used lilo and grub before. Looks like the packages contains /boot/uImage. Is that enough? I don't even have the u-boot package installed.

$ strings /dev/mtd0 | grep "^U-Boot "
U-Boot 2010.06-rc2-00064-gf41e8d8-dirty (Sep 08 2010 - 13:06:20)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

orn wrote:Sorry for being such a newbie but don't I need to run some command to update the kernel after install? I've only used lilo and grub before. Looks like the packages contains /boot/uImage. Is that enough? I don't even have the u-boot package installed.
No additional command. U-boot will simply boot a hardcoded kernel file name from a hardcoded location. Apart from the kernel you will usually need a bunch of files located in /lib/modules/`uname -r` for optional hardware support.

The likely reason for the newer kernels you tried is that you did not add the correct hardware support (assuming you did build the kernel yourself?) or the kernel conflicted with the u-boot version stored in the on board flash memory (search forum for 'u-boot upgrade needed'). If you insist on using Debian, you should wait for Excito finishing development. Otherwise you could check the development forum for other options. We currently have Arch and Gentoo support in there.
orn

Post by orn »

I gathered courage for a couple of days to do a gerilla update of uboot since I haven't attached a serial cable to the device. Followed the instructions from that thread and it worked! Am now running Debian Jessie. Thank you all!! :D
ryz

Post by ryz »

MouettE wrote:However I am currently preparing fresh jessie images for the b3. These will be based on the 3.18.x kernel branch and kernel packages are ready. You can install it inside your chroot with these commands
I have upgraded to jessie and the kernel you provided. One tiny problem is that controlling the led does not work any more since the specific device file does not exist.
/sys/devices/platform/bubbatwo/color
/sys/devices/platform/bubbatwo/ledmode

Is there some specific bubba patch that needs to be converted and applied to the new kernel?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

The layout of files controlling the leds have changed on newer kernel ; to control the leds you have to use :

/sys/class/leds/bubba3:blue:active/brightness
/sys/class/leds/bubba3:green:programming/brightness
/sys/class/leds/bubba3:red:error/brightness
which controls the blue/green/red leds available. write 0 or 1 to resp. turn off and on the leds and use combination to obtain the different colors.

I wrote a small package for jessie, b3-utils, which contains a small shell script (b3-set-led) which takes color as argument. It also contains shutdown utils, buttond and associated systemd service files. The source are here on github and the current version is available here.

You can also add the current excito jessie repository to your system which contains these package including future versions with the following commands :

wget http://repo.excito.org/excito-release-jessie.deb
dpkg -i excito-release-jessie.deb
That way you could run apt-get to install and update these packages.
ryz

Post by ryz »

So does the b3-utils replace the bubba-buttond and bubba-status which I have installed. If so this could maby be reflected in the configuration of the b3-utils package.

I had already set the excito jessie repository manually and run an update to see if there was any update to how the led is handled but since there where no new versions of bubba-buttond or bubba-status and b3-utils is not configure to replace those packages I did not get any updates.

I did get conflict when trying with bubba-buttond when trying to install b3-utils thought.

Any way thanks for all the great work that made it possible for me to run jessie on my B3.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

ryz wrote:So does the b3-utils replace the bubba-buttond and bubba-status which I have installed. If so this could maby be reflected in the configuration of the b3-utils package.
The jessie image will be install-only (no upgrade) so this case didn't really cross my mind. I will make another release just with this added.
ryz wrote:I had already set the excito jessie repository manually and run an update to see if there was any update to how the led is handled but since there where no new versions of bubba-buttond or bubba-status and b3-utils is not configure to replace those packages I did not get any updates.
Besides the kernel and b3-utils the repository is quite empty. I'm about to release a newer kernel version so be prepared (both b2 and b3 are compiling it just now)! I also need to create the b2-utils package and then I will be able to create an image.
ryz wrote:I did get conflict when trying with bubba-buttond when trying to install b3-utils thought.
That makes sense, some files share the same names. Remove bubba-buttond, bubba-halt, bubba-status and write-magic (if applicable) before installing b3-utils and you will be fine. Note that I tested the b3-utils package on a systemd-enabled jessie but it should work with systemV also.