New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

My B3 suddently "crashed" and now blinks purple...

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
bakelit

My B3 suddently "crashed" and now blinks purple...

Post by bakelit »

...what should I do?
As the server is totally inaccessible I guess I have to reinstall it somehow. I've read loads of threads referring to files that you can use and boot via a USB-stick but the links to the files don't work.
And I can't find any manuals or a supportpage...
Anybody out there with a manual and a clue on what to do?
MouettE
Site admin

Re: My B3 suddently "crashed" and now blinks purple...

Post by MouettE »

The install files can be found here : http://install.excito.org/latest/b3/
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

If the led is blinking, chances are the harddrive has died. Another possibility could be the power supply if the blinking began when you attempted to start the B3. A lot can be learned from putting your ear close to the unit and listen what sounds are produced when powering up.

Because the original install image is rather limited in what you can do to investigate what is wrong, or possibly save settings and/or data before doing a reinstall, you may like one of sakaki's live USB editions:
- Arch Linux
- Gentoo Linux

Either one will give you a full operating linux console, without harming anything that is currently on your disk, and allow you to pinpoint the problem you're having.
bakelit

Post by bakelit »

Thanks a lot. I suspect it is the harddrive that has crashed. What is the best way of trying to save the files on the drive?
sakaki

Post by sakaki »

Hi, if you managed to boot your B3 using one of the live-USB images as Gordon has suggested, you may be able to mount the root partition (and/or the LVM /home volume) from your HDD (/dev/sda) and copy data from it. You'll also be able to run diagnostic tools on the drive. Please let us know if you have managed to get booted to a root prompt, and one of us can try to help you from there.

Best, sakaki
bakelit

Post by bakelit »

The harddrive is definitely dead :(
I guess I can replace it. Do you have a good guide for re-installing the server?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

First things first. Get yourself a new disk. Per THIS post you should choose from:
  • WD Green (both -DS and -RS)
  • WD Red
  • Seagate Green
Or choose an SSD drive. Do note however that although the B3 is in fact able to access all SATA SSD's it may sometimes not be able to recognize it to boot from. Example HERE.

If you choose a WD Green drive, do not forget to tweak the idle-timer (details HERE)

Another issue may be your main board. If your B3 has the protruded B3 logo on the front, chances are the u-boot that is in flash memory will only support disks up to 2.2Tb. If in doubt or you don't really need more disk space, make sure to stay below that boundary. You can check your u-boot version from the live USB with the following command:

Code: Select all

strings /dev/mtd0 | grep U-Boot
If it says the version is 2010.06 you're okay. An official upgrade to that version is available HERE. Write it to a USB stick and turn on the power to your B3 while keeping the button on the back depressed.

As for installing, several issues were reported after Excito sold off a number of disk-less B3's through iBood. If you have a working USB stick you can try to reinstall the official Bubba OS (image HERE) using the same method as for the u-boot upgrade. Otherwise you may find the manual method better and I suggest you use the live USB to do the partitioning of your disk because the tools in the official installer are rather crippled.

Alternatively you may choose to install a more recent linux OS