New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

OLD bubba 1 owner, jumping in w/ B3, could use upgrade help.

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
txporter

OLD bubba 1 owner, jumping in w/ B3, could use upgrade help.

Post by txporter »

I have had my bubba 1 for a very long time, and have just purchased a B3 chassis and install USB key wanting to transfer data and capability over before it dies.

Can I reach out for a quick guide to getting my B3 imaged to the most recent versions of software?

I have seen references to Mouette's updates in a lot of posts, some quite old, so I am a bit in the dark on whether i will need to apply these or not, and how to do it.

I run my Bubba 1 behind my home network firewall, so while I am concerned about security, I'm not as worried as I would be if it was exposed to the Internet. Given that, I have some basic questions:

1. Does the USB key from the Excito store have the newest available software image for the B3?

2. If not, will hitting the Software Update button in the B3 Admin settings perform the update, or are do I need to make changes to any config files to do this.

3. is there a current source for apt-get packages for the most recent OS version and hardware from items 1 & 2 anymore, if I wanted to install packages not present on the USB key or updated B3?

PS, I used to wade into Linux config internals quite a bit a few years ago, but have gotten lazy and should probably now be considers a noob (console commands don't spring to mind as easily as they used to anymore!)

Thanks for any help and glad to see Bubba is keeping it's head above water! I love my B1: quiet, reliable, and faithful for many, many years.

Tom Porter
MouettE
Site admin

Re: OLD bubba 1 owner, jumping in w/ B3, could use upgrade h

Post by MouettE »

txporter wrote:I have had my bubba 1 for a very long time, and have just purchased a B3 chassis and install USB key wanting to transfer data and capability over before it dies.

Can I reach out for a quick guide to getting my B3 imaged to the most recent versions of software?
This wiki page would be a good start.
txporter wrote:I have seen references to Mouette's updates in a lot of posts, some quite old, so I am a bit in the dark on whether i will need to apply these or not, and how to do it.
You have a few choices :
  • Run the excito image which provides a nice web administration gui and all the tools Excito used to provide. However this is not much maintained as of today.
  • Run the archlinux image from sakaki.
  • Run the gentoo image from sakaki on which Gordon has begun to port the Excito administration tools.
  • Run the wheezy image I created but it's not much maintained either. I'm in the process of writing a jessie version but it is not finished yet.
txporter wrote: I run my Bubba 1 behind my home network firewall, so while I am concerned about security, I'm not as worried as I would be if it was exposed to the Internet. Given that, I have some basic questions:

1. Does the USB key from the Excito store have the newest available software image for the B3?
No the key provides the 2.4.1.1 software version.
txporter wrote:2. If not, will hitting the Software Update button in the B3 Admin settings perform the update, or are do I need to make changes to any config files to do this.
The software update button works fine, it will upgrade software to 2.6.0.3 (latest version as of today). The update process also do the needed configuration files change so you don't have anything to do.
txporter wrote:3. is there a current source for apt-get packages for the most recent OS version and hardware from items 1 & 2 anymore, if I wanted to install packages not present on the USB key or updated B3?
The excito image uses source from debian archive and excito repos. Both will remain so you can install software from it but they won't get updated any more.
txporter wrote:PS, I used to wade into Linux config internals quite a bit a few years ago, but have gotten lazy and should probably now be considers a noob (console commands don't spring to mind as easily as they used to anymore!)
Using anything but excito image will require you to wade back into Linux config internals :wink: .
txporter

Re: OLD bubba 1 owner, jumping in w/ B3, could use upgrade h

Post by txporter »

Dear MouettE,

Thank you very much for the pointers!! This will get me up to speed in no time.

Take care,

Tom P.