New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

B2 upgrade from etch

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
GKermit

B2 upgrade from etch

Post by GKermit »

Have an B2 that have been running for years with background tasks. Today I figured I need to update it....
Is there an easy way to get my b2 to update by apt-get upgrade / apt-get dist-upgrade. My source.list is still pointing to excito obsolete paths that don't exist anymore.

/Martin
Gordon

Re: B2 upgrade from etch

Post by Gordon »

The latest official software release for the B2 is the same version as for the B3. It is based on Squeeze and requires a full reinstall from Etch (i.e. no easy apt-get route).

Community driven unofficial operating systems for both B2 and B3 can be found in the development forum on this site.
GKermit

Post by GKermit »

Ok, so if I want to run last official then I just download "//install.excito.org/bubba-two/image-2.4.1/" and do a normal upgrade with USB stick.

/Martin
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

In essence yes. Do note that the default for the installer is to run a full install, wiping everything on your harddisk. You can choose not to delete your user data, as explained HERE. You'll probably want to take note of system settings that you want to reapply after the upgrade, including user accounts. There's no real sense in saving password/shadow files because system accounts may have changed numbers and you're likely to destroy functionality if you swap these with the new ones. It will also not restore the samba users (for Windows file sharing) and there's nothing to copy there because samba completely changed the method for storing those accounts.

Also note that the latest release is in fact 2.6.0.3 and you'll need to run a web update after the install to get to that version.