New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Practical, up-to-date (2015) use-cases for a B3?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
stasheck

Re: Practical, up-to-date (2015) use-cases for a B3?

Post by stasheck »

I'll just add that I actually bought 6 of those boxes, 4x no Wifi and 2x Wifi, when they started to be discounted (I paid 60-75 Euro for each, reasonable price).

1 is my home Linux server/router/whatever I need it to be
1 sold to a friend of mine, and I continue to support it for him
1 sold to a company I'm doing admin tasks for, to replace dying P4-era Samba server (100 W vs 10 W energy use :D)
1 installed at my parent's, for future use (off-site backup for me)
1 sold to another company I'm doing IT for, specifically for off-site backups
1 spare
Gordon

Re: Practical, up-to-date (2015) use-cases for a B3?

Post by Gordon »

LOL

Got my first one (a 2TB wifi) from a "local" dealer together with a Squeezebox Touch. Second one (1TB) came straight from Excito during the "summer sale campaign" that turned out to be the beginning of the end. Got an additional three (one wifi) without drive from a German company that apparently acquired quite a number from the bankruptcy sale - paid 150 euro in total for them.

Have one serving my internet, with a Netgear prosafe plus switch between the B3 and the fiber NT box to split the VLAN's so I don't need to worry about setting TTC's for the TV set tops. Apart from being my gateway this machine also serves as (Tor) proxy, FTP server and HTTP server (using Nginx). I use the geoip target from xtables-addons to shield possible vulnerable protocols from password guessing invaders acting from countries where none of my users are (in essence: me and my wife).

The second one provides wifi, email services, logitech media server, windows file sharing, HTTPS (apache) with protected pages that require x509 personal certificates, as well as serve HTTP dynamic content for the other box (including a photo sharing site - grandparents love that thing). The two boxes are hotlinked together through a separate VLAN to simplify routing and allow logging external addresses in the apache web server.

Third one currently serves as development machine for my (close to being completed) Gentoo project but will be moved to my parent's home shortly where it will run the same internet photo sharing app as I am (told you they loved it) and be a NAS.

The other two are paperweights for now. :mrgreen: