New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

HELP! Reconnected Bubba2 unused for years and...

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Wiley_Coyote

HELP! Reconnected Bubba2 unused for years and...

Post by Wiley_Coyote »

...of course discovered that the Software Update button no longer works.

Looking around the forum I see some of the discussion for the reasons for this, but what I don't really see is a simple end to end post or document to address the issue.

It seems like there might be ambitious ways to put entire different Linux builds on the system but I'm not interested in that. I simply want to update from the firmware I have to the last official one issued.

My current software (from the Bubba2 interface) is reported as:
Current package versions
Package name Package version
bubba-frontend 2.0.0.9
bubba-backend 2.0.0.11
bubba-album 2.0.0.4
filetransferdaemon 0.50.20
squeezecenter 7.5.1.dfsg1-5
Looking around I see in the Software releases area that there's as new as a 2.6.0.3 version. But to upgrade it simply says...
How to upgrade
To upgrade a running system, log in as admin in web-ui, choose "Settings" menu entry and "Software update" in the sub menu.
Which of course doesn't work now.

Someone as recently as 14 Nov 2015 claims this worked for them, but I'm wondering if this person made some backend change and just isn't saying. Do I have to do something like login via SSH and change a specific file that names the source locations for these updates? 2010 was my last actual attempt to update this, I believe, so keep in mind wherever its looking now is what was true in that year. But I have no idea what to change that to, if that's the case, or where to do it. I HAVE found the SSH login instructions and they've worked, and how to elevate there to admin privileges, and even tried a apt-get update there, but that's not much use since I know that version of Linux is long gone from any real support (so the apt-get is broken too). But even if that DID work, I'd still rather just be able to apply the last actual upgrade package from Excito itself.

Any help would be appreciated. Seems like there should be a pinned topic or something about upgrading in a situation like this, but I can't find it. Again, keep in mind I have no need to be 100% current with the Linux.... just to get the "last official" stuff from Excito on my box.

Thanks.
Wiley_Coyote

Re: HELP! Reconnected Bubba2 unused for years and...

Post by Wiley_Coyote »

Okay just found the Re-installing_your_Bubba_Server_/_Bubba2_/_B3 item on the Wiki (I'd add a link but the board won't let me as a newer user).

Is it still applicable?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Wiley_Coyote wrote:Is it still applicable?
Yes it's still applicable. Download the latest image for the Bubba|2, install it following the wiki and do an upgrade; you should end with 2.6.0.3
Wiley_Coyote

Post by Wiley_Coyote »

MouettE wrote:
Wiley_Coyote wrote:Is it still applicable?
Yes it's still applicable. Download the latest image for the Bubba|2, install it following the wiki and do an upgrade; you should end with 2.6.0.3
A few wrinkles (you have to hold the power button a certain way it seems) but reading that document brought back the memory of when I last did this back in 2010, so I figured it out. Thanks!