New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

IpFire on Bubba B3 ?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
UserNew

IpFire on Bubba B3 ?

Post by UserNew »

Hi Guys :-) Iam Bubba B3 and would like to be ipfire it install as on the manufacturer side supporting armv5tel supported How should I proceed to implement this? Would be grateful if I could someone here Help

http://downloads.ipfire.org/latest
Gordon

Re: IpFire on Bubba B3 ?

Post by Gordon »

All I can say is that it should be possible. The download packs a kernel uImage for Kirkwood which I suppose may be good for the B3. Running the installer may pose something of an issue though. The bare minimum would be a serial connection but even then I would not count on an easy install. Your best bet will likely be to use qemu and do the install on a virtual armv5te machine and transfer the resulting disk image to the B3 - with the right kernel of course.
UserNew

Post by UserNew »

Thank you first for the answer. this would also work with pxe? I have no experience in qemu

http://wiki.ipfire.org/en/installation/pxe

ps What kernel should I use for the B3 community kernel?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

PXE is just a different way to boot a machine. It will not give you access to a console that the hardware does not supply. Of course if you have the serial connection to your B3 AND the IpFire installer provides serial console access there will be no need for virtualization. The only way to know is to try.
UserNew

Post by UserNew »

Hello I can do this http://www.ebay.de/itm/Max3232-5V-3-3V- ... Swl8NVZtcd also using the serial port connection or it must be the cable http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/FTDI ... iw73fNYn2Q ? :roll:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I guess you can. Other known options are CH340 and PL2023. In most cases you'll need to do some work/soldering to make the adapter suitable for the cause and OS support can be troublesome. The FTDI cable is a safe bet if you don't want to run into too many surprises.

PS If you do decide to go for the FTDI cable, get yourself the three wire Rpi version. It will save you some 10 dollar/euro compared to the six wire version mentioned in the wiki.
UserNew

Post by UserNew »

thanks for the information 8) that I will probably try it first with the cable
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

I worked on this a few months ago and I definitely managed to get IPFire running on a b3. However there is a major issue : no matter what I tried, the B3 wouldn't boot with a grsecurity patched kernel which is enabled by default on IPFire (no idea why but never bothered to investigate). It should run fine without it but no warranty.

You basically need to un-img/untar the files on the disk and replace the kernel with a custom-built one - without grsecurity. In order to build a custom kernel, you need to choose a version, patch it with IPFire patches, adapt the excito patch set if needed and merge the default config from ipfire with the harware-specific parts of the excito config. That's not an easy task but if you know the stuff it can definitely be done.
UserNew

Post by UserNew »

okay thanks for the approach. Did you have to get it running already on the B3 without grsecurity?
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

UserNew wrote:Did you have to get it running already on the B3 without grsecurity?
I don't understand your question. It did run on the B3 without grsecurity but I didn't test it much.