New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Any help with compiling and installing spindown+auto mount?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
The PyroPath

Any help with compiling and installing spindown+auto mount?

Post by The PyroPath »

Hello all,

I've been using a B3 for some time now. Mostly just as a download box, network share, FTP among friends and other such things.

I had to add an extra USB disk for some extra space, but it is rarely accessed constantly. What I would like to do is install the spindown daemon from: http://code.google.com/archive/p/spindown and use it to spin down the external USB drive for 99% of the day. But since I've absolutely 0 experience in compiling or such things I could use some help on how to do this. The most intense things I've done are usually jut an AptGet away so I wouldn't even know where to start :shock:

I also used a network connected 230V socket to switch the B3 on after shutting it down at night for example and finding out I forgot to boot it up again. I use the app on my phone to power down the socket and just power is up again and voila, the B3 boots all fine and nice. However the USB disk isn't mounted automatically. So could anyone also provide help with something like usbmount, Ivman or something similar?

Many thanks in advance, hope someone can guide me in this... :?
Gordon

Re: Any help with compiling and installing spindown+auto mou

Post by Gordon »

You'll probably find all your answers in the Finding out what's using disk topic.
86ivar

Re: Any help with compiling and installing spindown+auto mou

Post by 86ivar »

No scripting or compiling is needed fo this.
Use fstab to automount disks. It is located in /etc folder.
Use hdparm -S command to set spindown time for the disk.

Googling "fstab automount" and "hdparm spindown time"
Should get you going.