New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Old 2TB disk no longer boot. Like to use SSD

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
spaceuser

Old 2TB disk no longer boot. Like to use SSD

Post by spaceuser »

My original 2TB disk wont boot anymore. Have run Spinrite (from grc.com) on it, but it didn't found any errors. Tried with an old 1TB Hitachi Ultra disk, and booted using a default usb stick. Works fine! The only problem with that 1TB disk is that it's going very hot, 60-63 C. Maybe I should try a SSD disk like Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB.

Anyone that have tried newer SSDs from Samsung? Any SSD boot problem? If so, any suggestions to solve it?

TIA
Gordon

Re: Old 2TB disk no longer boot. Like use SSD

Post by Gordon »

I use a PNY SSD myself. Did have an issue with it and Sakaki mentioned having a Samsung with the same problem. The trouble is that uboot does not recognize the disk hardware and as a result cannot boot the kernel from it. And of course you can't tell in advance, but it is quite likely that most newer disks will face the same issue.

Also a warning: do not put 7200RPM or higher disks in your B2|3. As you noticed they will become quite hot and eventually destroy themselves.
spaceuser

Re: Old 2TB disk no longer boot. Like to use SSD

Post by spaceuser »

Didn't dare to buy a SSD since boot problems reported here in the forum. I bought a WD Red 1TB instead. My B3 is now up and running. Just to let you know :)