New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Excito B3 cannot start after Power failure

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
easy77

Re: Excito B3 cannot start after Power failure

Post by easy77 »

Nobody an answer? What can i do? :roll:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Sorry, I was out. Ignore that error. mtdblock*/md* is the on board flash memory. What matters is that your disk is accessible as /dev/sda and by the looks of it it already accepted your previous attempt at creating the msdos type partition table. You're good to go so far.
easy77

Post by easy77 »

I wrote all the codes, but: "The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?"
Please take a look to my Picture:

Did i something wrong with your Codes. I tried the last one row by row and as a whole:

parted /dev/sda mklabel msdos
parted /dev/sda mkpart temp ext3 0 -1
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

Sorry for me these Codes really mysterious. :?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I need to look into that. Apparently there's something wrong with the command that should create the partition. If you like to try something else in the mean time, I think the rescue image also has an old version of fdisk and since we are creating a msdos type partition table at this point this should likely work as well.

1) run `fdisk /dev/sda`
2) press 'n' (new partition)
3) press enter on all questions (accept default answer)
4) press 'w' when you see the fdisk> prompt again (write new partition table and exit)
5) run `mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1` (format file system)
easy77

Post by easy77 »

After the first Code it says: "fdisk: not found"
Is there something i have to install first? Something i have to put on my USB Stick which starts the rescue function now?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hmmm, no. You can't install anything on the rescue disk. It is what it is and as said earlier it is rather limited. In any case it means we're stuck to using the parted command. I'll look into it tomorrow and find out why the create partition command fails.

You wouldn't be interested in trying bubbagen? Same web based interface, new Linux underneath.
easy77

Post by easy77 »

:wink: Hey!
I would try everything to repair the failure. Is Bubbagen an alternative Software for my B3?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Found it (I think)

To make sure that parted takes the command that follows it as a command instead of parameters you need to add an additional '--' in between. The command thus becomes:

Code: Select all

parted --script  /dev/sda  --  mkpart  label  ext3  0  -1
easy77 wrote::wink: Hey!
I would try everything to repair the failure. Is Bubbagen an alternative Software for my B3?
Yes, bubbagen evolved from sakaki's gentoo-on-b3 project. The fun thing about it is that you can try it without installing it. It will run straight from the USB stick (8GiB or more, but since the hardware does not support all USB stick types it's better not to exceed the 8GiB minimum size). If you like it, you can install it on the hard drive and make it your permanent operating system. Sorry to say that currently does require some command line intervention - never really gave that any thought. Maybe something to add in the next release.

You can find bubbagen (and other alternatives) in the development board.
easy77

Post by easy77 »

It does not help. :cry: So i try to install Bubbagen an i hope it is more stable.
easy77

Post by easy77 »

Hello,
i downloaded "bubbagenb3img-1.8.2.xs" and unpacked it. Is this the right way to install to my internal hard drive? I do not know which file is the right one to install.
I tried to copy the "bubbagenb3img-1.8.2" to my 8 GB USB Stick, but the Sick is not big enough. I have another Stick with 120 GB space, but it is only to format with exFAT. On the stick are data. So I just want to format it , if it makes sense. :wink:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Hi,

After unpacking the downloaded file you need to use an image writer to commit it to the USB stick. Like this one. It will fit the 8GiB stick

Gordon
easy77

Post by easy77 »

Hello,
installing to the USB stick went well. The light went from green to purple to green. The WAN Port of B3 is connected with my Fritz Box and i can see it as "B3" and it has an IP. So far everything ist good.
No my Problem: I want to install Bubbagen to my internal hard drive. I´ve seen the Description: https://github.com/gordonb3/bubbagen.
So i tried to get a connection with Putty. Username and Password seems to be "Admin"?! But i have an Error:
I don´t understand what is wrong!
I tried to connect the B3 with its LAN Port to my Fritz Box too. I used the Adress http://b3 in my Browser, but nothing happened.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I'll look into the documentation and see what needs/can be revised.

The Live USB is different from the Excito rescue stick. As stated: it is a fully functional system. There's only one minor difference with how you would want to run the live system and that is that the ssh port has been opened on the WAN adapter. Web services (and that is probably a mistake from my side) are not enabled on the WAN side though. You need to connect through the LAN side to access it.

If the system is already started and LAN was not connected to anything, it will have a fallback address 192.168.10.1. You can connect your windows machine directly to that port, which should give it an address in the correct range, and then connect to http://b3/

If you like to keep the Fritzbox in the middle for now, move the cable from WAN to the LAN port and reboot the B3 (for safe shutdown, press the small button on the back for approx. five seconds - the LED will turn purple and then off). At boot time the B3 will then get an IP address from the Fritzbox.

Like the original B3 software, the default administrator password for the web interface is 'admin'. To get to the console using ssh (Putty) you should logon as root with password 'gentoob3'.
easy77

Post by easy77 »

Hello,
everything seems to be good, but my Install lost Step 5 of 5!
Here you can see it:

I did not close Putty. What should i do next?
easy77

Post by easy77 »

and what means: /root/install_on_sda.sh: line 49: missing :?: :?: