New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

dhclient.conf Vendor Class Identifier (option 60)

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
OlivierC

dhclient.conf Vendor Class Identifier (option 60)

Post by OlivierC »

Hi,

I currently have a DSL connection with Speedtouch DSL modem (Orange ISP in France)
B3 [WiFi] running the unmodified Excito software and underlying Debian squeeze in router+firewall+server mode
DSL > Speedtouch > B3 in router+firewall+server mode

I will move to fiber-optic Internet service to my home soon.

I will get ONT device located in my house which is connected to the fiber optic.
an all-in-one unit (router/AP/Firewall) is supplied by ISP.
fiber-optic > ONT > all-in-one router/AP/Firewall

I plan to replace router supplied to me by ISP with B3.
fiber-optic > ONT > B3 router+firewall+server

But i have to do some changes to configuration files as described here
https://lafibre.info/remplacer-sfr/bypasser-la-neufbox/
interface "eth0"
/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf
and here
https://lafibre.info/remplacer-sfr/bypa ... barbus/24/
client-option "send vendor-class-identifier "neufbox_NB6V-FXC-r0_NB6V-MAIN-R3.4.5_NB6V-XDSL-A2pv6F038m";"

Can anyone give me some advice
Gordon

Re: dhclient.conf Vendor Class Identifier (option 60)

Post by Gordon »

That first link seems pretty cut-and-paste for your installation. One thing though: is it just internet you're getting on the fibre connection? Here in NL the bandwidth is shared with television and speech and it is the ISP provided router that splits these signals (separated by VLANs). By adding VLAN support it is possible to let the B3 connect to the internet, but you cannot provide television and/or telephony this way.

The way I do it here is with the help of a switch that supports VLANs. There's a fairly cheap 8-port switch from Netgear (GS108E prosafe plus - be sure to get the 'plus') that does this job quite well. As I do not have telephony in my contract and only one television 'settopbox' connected I use three ports on that switch for splitting the signals. The remaining five are used for LAN traffic.
OlivierC

Post by OlivierC »

plan include Fibre speeds of up to 100 Mbps, unlimited data, anytime calls (home phone)
no TV, calls to mobile phones not included
I will probably keep ISP all-in-one box and setup DMZ in the first router to point to the B3 router.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Yes. For home phone you would still need to use the ISP provided router. Could still be beneficial though to place it behind a VLAN splitter as this will put you in control of what signals can come in or go out of that router. As it happens my ISP provided me a router with a backdoor and I'm quite certain others do that as well because many of them offer hotspot connection to their customers as well, which uses the routers installed in people's homes and so they must be able to configure these remotely. Point of interest: the router also has a USB port that allows attaching a drive which you then can access through Samba, FTP and HTTP protocols. Would you do that, knowing that your ISP can control it?