New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Debian 10 "Buster"

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
skion

Debian 10 "Buster"

Post by skion »

Has anyone tried upgrading from stretch to buster yet? Any problems?
fredrikj

Re: Debian 10 "Buster"

Post by fredrikj »

I haven't tried yet, but hope to do so real soon now. I'm a bit hesitant because of the move away from legacy network interface names. If I understand the release notes correctly eth0 and eth1 will be replaced by some really weird looking names.

root@b3:~# udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth0 2>/dev/null
ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx002202003b46
root@b3:~# udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/eth1 2>/dev/null
ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx002202003b47

It is kind of tricky to handle changes to network device names on a headless device. I suppose that one course is to upgrade to new style device names before the release upgrade, one device at a time, with reboots between each device.

https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... face-names

Anyone else that's seen something that requires special attention when upgrading b3:s to buster?

Oh, and I do hope that Charles (Mouette) will adopt and build the new 4.19 kernel for b3 some day. :)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Those names you refer to are the so-called 'Predictable Network Interface Naming' names. That has actually been around for quite some time now, at least 5 years, and if it had applied to the B3 you would have already encountered that issue.

As it stands, eth0 and eth1 are defined as such in the device tree that is attached to the kernel. Thus there is no issue with regards to the wired LAN interfaces. These are and will remain eth0 and eth1. You will however see the predictable name for the wlan interface (if present), which will be called 'wlp1s0', but this is easily reverted to 'wlan0' with a udev rule:

Code: Select all

# rename wifi interface (if adaptor present) to wlan0
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="ath9k", NAME="wlan0"
(save as: /lib/udev/rules.d/70-net-name-use-custom.rules)

With respect to kernel 4.19:
It must be noted that at this time not all third party modules support this kernel. Most particular this applies to xtables-addons but it could also affect drivers for peripheral hardware like Tellstick. When upgrading to this version you should therefore be prepared to revert to 4.14 in case something turns out to be broken.
fredrikj

Post by fredrikj »

Gordon wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 06:08 Those names you refer to are the so-called 'Predictable Network Interface Naming' names. That has actually been around for quite some time now, at least 5 years, and if it had applied to the B3 you would have already encountered that issue. ... As it stands, eth0 and eth1 are defined as such in the device tree that is attached to the kernel.
Rigt. But AFAIU, in general, legacy device names continued to work on systems that were upgraded from jessie to stretch. Only fresh installed stretch systems would use the new names by default. Thus I assumed that my b3, which is upgraded from jessie, would be affected now when I upgrade a second time to buster. My mistake.

I had no idea that the b3 ethernet network device names where specified in the device tree. I didn't even know that there was a device tree for kirkwood-b3 until I saw your reply. A quick search has remedied that knowledge gap now. :) Gordon, thanks for the enlightenment.

For other curious b3-fans, the kirkwood-b3 device tree:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... ood-b3.dts
Gordon wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 06:08 Thus there is no issue with regards to the wired LAN interfaces. These are and will remain eth0 and eth1. You will however see the predictable name for the wlan interface, which will be called 'wlp1s0', but this is easily reverted to 'wlan0' with a udev rule:
Right, I've adapted my b3 config to use the "new" predictable name wlp1s0 for the b3 wifi device instead.

Thanks!

PS. My plan is to upgrade the system to buster, but keep running the bubba3-kernel 4.9.147-1 for the time being.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

fredrikj wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 03:38 For other curious b3-fans, the kirkwood-b3 device tree:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... ood-b3.dts
Yes. In case you should want to compile your own kernel, do note the 'gpio-led' section. The default state for these leds is in fact 'off' and thus if you use this device tree source file as is, then the front led will be off during boot until you switch it on in userland. To show the purple led during boot you need to explicitly add 'default-state = "on";' to the 'error_led' and 'active_led' sections.
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

Hello,

I've ported all packages and compiled a new kernel for buster and deployed them on the repository. The install image is almost ready (I'll release it in the next couple of days). As packages are already deployed, you can try to upgrade using the standard upgrade procedure (upgrade everything, switch distribution in sources.list from stretch to buster, then dist-upgrade with apt-get). I haven't tested the upgrade procedure yet but it should be ok.
skion

Post by skion »

That's amazing, @MouettE, thanks for your ongoing support.

Out of curiosity, what's the procedure to build a new bubba-kernel package?
Puma

Post by Puma »

That's great news!
@MouettE, thanks for all the work!
Has anyone done the upgrade yet?
Now running 3 bubba 3 with strech, and would not want to do a complete new installation....

Puma
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!
skion

Post by skion »

I just upgraded and it worked flawlessly.

One thing I'm still tracking is why Shorewall doesn't see the iptables NAT modules any more, but I don't believe this to be a kernel problem.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

skion wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 17:55 I just upgraded and it worked flawlessly.

One thing I'm still tracking is why Shorewall doesn't see the iptables NAT modules any more, but I don't believe this to be a kernel problem.
May like to check kernel config anyway. There have been some changes to Netfilter config names and whether or not they may be build as a module (e.g. NAT_Redirect and NAT_Masquerade may no longer be loadable modules).
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

skion wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 04:44 That's amazing, @MouettE, thanks for your ongoing support.

Out of curiosity, what's the procedure to build a new bubba-kernel package?
I'll try to find the time to write a quick how-to.
skion

Post by skion »

Gordon wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 04:48
skion wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 17:55
May like to check kernel config anyway. There have been some changes to Netfilter config names and whether or not they may be build as a module (e.g. NAT_Redirect and NAT_Masquerade may no longer be loadable modules).

update-alternatives --set iptables /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy
Did the trick ^^
fredrikj

Post by fredrikj »

I'm quite happy to join the choir for praise of Mouette in this thread. I'm grateful for your awesome work on the b3 Debian port. Thank you!

I had an almost flawless upgrade experience. I used the command apt full-upgrade rather than apt-get dist-upgrade. It was somewhat surprising that the old kernel package was removed automatically before I had even rebooted to the new 4.19 buster kernel. I'm not sure if that's expected or not?

Now, about the almost flawless part: I managed to lock myself out from ssh after rebooting. It is obviously a bad idea to combine a manually mounted encrypted home partition - with your user's ~/.ssh folder - with sshd configured to disallow password based logins. :roll:

On the positive side I can report that Mouette's Debian Buster 10 image works excellent as a rescue image too. Just configured it with a static ip on the lan port and write = false, and fixed my broken sshd_config.
fredrikj

Post by fredrikj »

skion wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 16:49

update-alternatives --set iptables /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy
Did the trick.
I had the same experience. With iptables-legacy selected my old masquerade rules works fine.

Before giving in to the legacy approach though, I made a feeble attempted to migrate to nftables. Unfortunately it appears that the 4.19 b3 kernel excludes a few modules that are required for nftables. Possibly some of the following modules?

grep -E "CONFIG_NF_.*not|CONFIG_NFT_.*not" /boot/config-4.19.57-1 
# CONFIG_NF_TABLES_INET is not set
# CONFIG_NFT_FLOW_OFFLOAD is not set
# CONFIG_NFT_FIB_NETDEV is not set
# CONFIG_NFT_CHAIN_NAT_IPV4 is not set
# CONFIG_NFT_MASQ_IPV4 is not set
# CONFIG_NFT_REDIR_IPV4 is not set
MouettE
Site admin

Post by MouettE »

I've compiled a new version with the missing modules. You can download it here and manually install the package with dpkg -i. Let me know how it goes and I'll release it on the official repository.