New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Lost contact with Bubba

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
matse

Lost contact with Bubba

Post by matse »

Hi,

We had a power cut here the other day, and since then I cannot connect to Bubba (Two). There is no problem powering up the Bubba, but then it ain't apparently obtaining an IP address. In my router (DHCP) it says Bubba is "inactive", and I cannot ping Bubba over the local network.

Anyone having a hint how to restore normality?

Thanks,
Mats
mcg

Re: Lost contact with Bubba

Post by mcg »

Looks like you may need to boot using a USB rescue stick and poke around on the system disk to see what the problem is. The Excito documentation talks about how to build a rescue stick from a standard install stick.
zander

Post by zander »

i have a backup power supply for my bubba2. they can now be had for less than $100 us.
~alonzo...
matse

Post by matse »

Ok, I have what I think is a rescue stick now. I have managed to ssh into the bubba, but don't know how to proceed. Help appreciated!

Mats
matse

Post by matse »

I mean, how can I cd to the bubba file system?
zander

Post by zander »

cd /home/storage/extern/<usb stick>

when you get to /home/storage/extern you have to figure out which mount point is your usb drive and then cd to that.
~alonzo...
matse

Post by matse »

That directory is not available to me. I've booted up with rescue stick. Under /home, the only subdirectory is "default", and this is empty.
zander

Post by zander »

hi,

the link on how to do that is here.

did you make that usb stick yourself or did you buy it from excito and are you following these directions?
~alonzo...
matse

Post by matse »

My rescue stick is from Excito. I followed the instructions you reference, but do they tell me how to inspect the drive?
zander

Post by zander »

matse wrote:My rescue stick is from Excito. I followed the instructions you reference, but do they tell me how to inspect the drive?
they do not explain how to inspect the stick drive. there likely is no need to inspect the excito restore stick. if you really want to look at whats on it you might mount it on a linux or mac workstation. i don't think a pc will mount it.

other wise all i know to suggest is picking up the instructions on step 4 of "Installing & Reinstalling Software" and that should restore your system.

sometimes when i am doing stuff like this i copy the steps onto a piece of paper and check them off when each one is complete (you cannot skip or add any steps).

if these steps do not restore your system then email excito support directly.

after you have restored the system and its up and running you may be able to plug the stick into the bubba and cd to it as external storage as i described before.
~alonzo...
matse

Post by matse »

Ok, maybe I'm not expressing myself clearly:

I have an Excito installation stick, which I customized according to the bubba docs to make it a rescue stick. I have succeeded to startup bubba with this rescue stick. I have managed to ssh into the bubba in this way as well. My goal is to find out what's wrong with the Bubba, and that's why I'm using the rescue stick. I don't have a need to inspect the rescue stick -- I do want to inspect the actual bubba drive. Maybe some log files. But how can I find these when I don't know how to cd to that drive?
matse

Post by matse »

And I prefer not having to make a complete reinstall since I have done some custom configurations which I don't want to redo.
zander

Post by zander »

are you sure there is anything wrong with it? is the web interface working?

can you get the login page and login with http://bubba?

you may have to directly connect your computer to the lan port on the bubba.
~alonzo...
matse

Post by matse »

Yes, there is something wrong with my bubba (??).

If I run the rescue stick for reinstall, which directories on the bubba will be wiped/overwritten?

Thanks,
Mats
zander

Post by zander »

i would think that a reinstall of the os would repartition the entire hard drive. it would erase everything and then reinstall the original factory os image to the state it was in when you first received it.
~alonzo...