New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

firefly broken after updating bubba2 software

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Zebedee

firefly broken after updating bubba2 software

Post by Zebedee »

Hi,

i just completed the recent update of the bubba software and unfortunately now firefly no longer works. This means my mediaplayer no longer sees firefly, i cannot access firefly at bubba:3689 and the new webbased music player does not work either...

What to do?

Z.
Binkem

Re: firefly broken after updating bubba2 software

Post by Binkem »

I've got the same problem. Dit you update using the web interface? Or using apt-get? Were there any arrors during the update? I've got some problems with python 2.4, which might be the problem. In the announcements there is a discussion about the same problem, which may be fixed by changing the run as variable in /etc/mt-daapd.conf from www-data back to mt-daapd. This allows Firefly to access its own database again. Pity this didn't fix my problem though.

Martijn
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Thanks for the reply. Actually i updated using the web interface and the update hung for quite a while, giving me messages that the server might be down and that i should be patient. Because it was late i just let it be and went to bed. Next morning the web interface told me that the update was completed, but there was a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark next to that message.

I've read the announcement thread as well now - too bad. My linux skills are probably just about sufficient to ssh onto the bubba and follow some instructions that clearly fix the problem. For now, i'll just have to wait, i suppose.

Z.
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

You may want to try my possible solution:

ssh into your bubba

gain root access:

Code: Select all

su
(password is excito)

nano /etc/mt-daapd.conf
find the line reading:
runas = www-data
and change this to
runas = mt-daapd
CTRL+X to exit the nano editor
save your changes

/etc/init.d/mt-daapd restart
hopefully this will fix your problem. If not you may have the same problem i've got.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Thanks again. After stating that i'd wait, i immediately got an itch in my fingers and had already started to investigate and i have solved my problem.

The solution is almost exactly what you suggest, except that in my case the runas parameter in mt-daapd.conf already was set to 'mt-daapd' and needed to be changed to 'www-data' - and not the other way around as you describe. The reason was that on my bubba both config file and database are owned by 'www-data'. Have you checked ownership of these files on your machine?

Cheers,

Z.
jonte

Post by jonte »

I have a problem with Firefly as well after updating.
The Firefly database doesn't update
This is from the logfile.

2010-04-18 10:30:08 (480241c0): Initializing database
2010-04-18 10:30:08 (480241c0): Full reload...
2010-04-18 10:30:08 (480241c0): Starting mp3 scan
2010-04-18 10:30:08 (480241c0): opendir: Permission denied

I wonder if the Permission denied has to do with the user www-data and the /home/storage/music catalog. www-data isn't part of the the group users in my setup, and therefor doesn't have access to the folder, as I see it.
I did find an old version of the mt-daapd.conf (mt-daapd.conf.dpkg-old). The files have two main differences (using the diff command).

1: runas user: the old has mt-daapd, the new one has www-data (file ownership on either file corresponds to the runas user)

2: The database of the new file (with www-data ownership) points to:
/var/cache/mt-daapd
The old file (with mt-daapd ownership) points to /usr/var/cache/mt-daapd.

The user mt-daapd is part of the group users, and when I replace the "www-data config" with the "mt-daapd config" the bloody thing starts to catalog the music.

My question is, is there a certain point to use www-data instead of mt-daapd. Does it even matter.
I tried adding the group users to the user www-data, but that doesn't help.

I just can't get my head around it :)
Any ideas are welcome

//Jonte