New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Wiki request(s)

Good ideas? Share with us!
novis

Wiki request(s)

Post by novis »

Seeing that there's a nice wiki now, I thought I'd post some requests for it. If someone should have the skills (and time) to write them :)

1. Webcam support - I asked about this here about a year ago. Maybe someone has this working for Bubba?
2. Network packet prioritizing - Every time my network gets clogged with traffic, ssh gets lagged badly. I found some help online, but since Bubba has two NICs I'm not 100% sure on how to implement them. And as it has no easy way to connect directly I'm paranoid about blocking myself out..

Thanks in advance!
asparak

Re: Wiki request(s)

Post by asparak »

I have actually spent several days looking at just this sort of thing a while ago.

I'm not sure packet shaping is going to achieve what you think it will. The limiting factor for the current version of Bubba is actually the CPU and its ability to handle the traffic. Most people who have experienced 'lagging' are actually seeing the CPU max out and hence delaying the packets on the NIC's while it queues and handles them.

Bubba 3 (or whatever it gets called) will feature a bigger CPU, so this issue is greatly reduced.

However, at a very basic level, you could look at the 'nice' values for various processes, such as the webserver and lower them, while raising the priority of the ssh connection.

Main thing I would suggest is turning off services you don't use to free up CPU cycles
novis

Post by novis »

You're right. The load average just shoots up when moving stuff from wan to lan. Renicing sshd to -13, below anything else according to top, didn't do anything really.. I don't have anything extra running either. Just irssi, nfs-server and the usual processes. My internet connection is pretty swift at 100/100mbps.
asparak

Post by asparak »

Yep. Not sure there is a foolproof answer yet. SSH is a tricky one, because the crypto requirements of the SSH part are CPU intensive anyway, so it always has a higher overhead than say telnet or rsh.
I find -16 for sshd provides a small increase in my configuration, but not significant in the grand scheme of things.