New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Release notes for BUBBA|2 version 2.0.2

Announcements of all software releases for Excito products
carl

Release notes for BUBBA|2 version 2.0.2

Post by carl »

This is a minor upgrade. The upgrade is available only as a firmware upgrade.

Upgrade
To upgrade a running system, make sure you don't have any activities running such as uploads, downloads, print jobs etc. Then log in as admin in web-ui. Choose "settings" menu entry. Choose "Update" in the sub menu. Press the "Update" button.

Since the update service depends on root access to the MySQL database, if you have changed the default password the update will fail. If it has been changed, run the update from the command line. Default options should be ok, but you need to provide your MySQL root password.

Since this update upgrades the kernel, a reboot will be required after upgrade.

New features and major changes
  • Activated Wifi 'N'-mode
Upgrades/Bugfixes
  • Updates to hosts file, partial solving name resolution problems.
  • Updates to firewall configuration, solving problems with removing old firewall rules.
  • Numerous minor updates to UI look and feel.
Known issues
  • Systems using upstream dhcp/dns servers that does not register the name passed by Bubba in the DHCP request causes services on Bubba that require an FQDN to fail.
Releasenotes are now also available at http://wiki.excito.org/wiki/index.php/R ... aTwo_2.0.2
wil

Re: Release notes for BUBBA|2 version 2.0.2

Post by wil »

carl wrote: [*] Updates to hosts file, partial solving name resolution problems.
[*] Updates to firewall configuration, solving problems with removing old firewall rules.
Since these files are dangerous to touch in a live system, could you please explain what exactly is done to /etc/hosts and also what is done to the firewall configuration?

/wil
mcg

Post by mcg »

I'm afraid this still replaced my firewall code with its own default.
RandomUsername

[Bug report] Re: Release notes for BUBBA|2 version 2.0.2

Post by RandomUsername »

Got this output from aptitude when updating:
Reloading services for Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon.
Creating directory /etc/skel/private
Setting up firewall...FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32.6/modules.dep: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32.6/modules.dep: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32.6/modules.dep: No such file or directory
done.
It carried on and everything seems fine though.
willem2

Post by willem2 »

It looks like the update was OK
  • had to cut the power for restart - restart trough the interface caused Bubba to hang
  • hereafter everything seems to work fine
  • except wifi "n" - how can I check, activate, troubleshoot wifi "n"?
mcg wrote:I'm afraid this still replaced my firewall code with its own default.
On my box portforwarding in firewall.conf wasn't altered :D
RobV

Post by RobV »

I had the same FATAL error message as 'RandomUserName' during the update.
Don't know the consequences... :?
RobV
pa

Post by pa »

Wil,

A bit of clarification is needed agreed.
Regarding the hosts file, this is rewritten only when changing profiles, and it is code in this process that have been rewritten.
Regarding the firewall config, this was a bad choice of words, again it is the code that handles changes to the config that is rewritten, not the firewallconfig itself.
Hopes this answers your questions.

Regarding the "FATAL" message, this is only due to that there are no modules to load and can be safely ignored.

Wifi 'N' is selected from the Network->WLAN page in the UI.
wil

Post by wil »

pa wrote:Regarding the hosts file, this is rewritten only when changing profiles, and it is code in this process that have been rewritten.

Regarding the firewall config, this was a bad choice of words, again it is the code that handles changes to the config that is rewritten, not the firewallconfig itself.
Thank you for the explanation, pa.

I just upgraded from the web interface and it went smoothly.

/wil
pcrene

Post by pcrene »

Hello All,

Done the update, did a reboot all is working fine.. :D

B2 + 1T in RAID + 2T extra esata

Rene
B3 1T + B-Stor 2T, B2 1T as backup
40 users active....
Opensat4all.Com
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

How can I get notified of these software updates?

Its not announced in News and I only found out because I was searched for WiFi, wondering when the N update was going to happen.

I would like you guys to have a blog and twitter feed for this stuff that I can subscribe and get instant notification.

Thanks

Mark
Binkem

Post by Binkem »

Updates are always posted under announcements. I think it is a good idea to create a blog/twitter/mailing list to inform everyone of the latest updates. Alternatively it would be good to have a place on the excito site where the latest Bubba software versions may be found.

Martijn
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

Binkem wrote:Alternatively it would be good to have a place on the excito site where the latest Bubba software versions may be found.

Martijn
This isn't a suitable 'alternative': my request is to be notified, and not have to check periodically.

Mark
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

You can just subscribe to new posts in the announcements forum like I do - the option is that the bottom of the page.
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

RandomUsername wrote:You can just subscribe to new posts in the announcements forum like I do - the option is that the bottom of the page.
Done. Excellent, thank you RU.

My request stands, as I think it is a more obvious thing for people to look for these days (i.e. a blog and twitter feed of Bubba news).

Mark
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Personally, I'd rather they spent their time developing their products :)