New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Can't Access Bubba

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
lee.oades

Can't Access Bubba

Post by lee.oades »

Please forgive this newbie question.

I have a Bubba2 (not wireless), plugged from the LAN port into my adsl router.
http://bubba/ was working fine and I'd updated the server and was looking at the settings.
SSH was also set up.

Because I want to set up some port forwarding on my router to the Bubba2, I wanted to set an manual ip address. I went to the settings screen where I switched it from Automatic to router+firewall+server. When I did this, it told me that it was going to set this setting and that i might need to restart it.

That was the last time I was able to access it. http://bubba doesn't work, nor does pinging bubba or \\bubba or ssh.

I held the reset button on the back until the blue light started to flash, let it shut down, waited, started it back up. Alas, still no change.
I tried switching the network cable to WAN but still no joy.

Please Help!

Thanks, Lee
Kiff

Re: Can't Access Bubba

Post by Kiff »

Did you set an ip manually? If so, try pinging it instead.

Your router might have a list over connected devices in the network, try looking for it there.

Lastly, try broadcast ping and see which computers respond. I think the syntax is something like
"ping -b <ip>" where ip is the broadcast address of your network. (typically 10.0.0.255 or 192.168.0.255)
(Not sure if windows' ping supports broadcast)
lee.oades

Post by lee.oades »

Hi Kiff,

I didn't get the chance to set the ip manually. The IP address (and other network settings) are locked down whilst in Auto mode. It said I needed to switch from Auto mode to either "server+firewall+router" (or whatever it's called) mode or to "server only" mode. I switched to the first one (although this was a mistake as I've found out because that's not how I've got my network set up - but anyway) - and since then, I've not been able to access the Bubba at all.

I've looked on the router but it doesn't give me a list of ip addresses, only mac addresses of machines on wifi.

I'd be surprised if the Bubba was on the network as it would presumably respond to its hostname.

I've just had a thought... by switching it to manual settings, I presume that it would start using the ip address that it had specified in the manual settings. Now this I seem to remember was a 192.168.... address, and my network is a 10.10.1.* range... hmmm... perhaps this could be why it's not showing up - because it's on a completely different ip range?

What do you think guys?
willem2

Post by willem2 »

Try this:
  • Shut down your Bubba Two (hold the power button until the led flashes);
  • wait till the led stops flashing;
  • connect the LAN port of your Bubba to a LAN port on your router or switch;
  • leave the WAN port of the Bubba empty;
  • power on;
  • normally your Bubba will get an IP address trough DHCP from your router and should be accessible on the network?
lee.oades

Post by lee.oades »

Hi Willem,

I've tried this already, twice. Note that it won't get an ip address through DHCP if it's set to a manual IP address. This might be what's happened.

If it is still set to pick up an address through DHCP then I'm looking for another reason why the server doesn't seem to appear on the network - so all ideas welcome !

Help!

Lee.
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

lee.oades wrote: I've just had a thought... by switching it to manual settings, I presume that it would start using the ip address that it had specified in the manual settings. Now this I seem to remember was a 192.168.... address, and my network is a 10.10.1.* range... hmmm... perhaps this could be why it's not showing up - because it's on a completely different ip range?
I think you're right here. By default the Bubba2 recieves a static IP 192.168.10.1 if no DHCP is found, so maybe if you set a static IP on your client computer thats 192.168.10.2 or similar you'll be able to reach it?

/Tompa
lee.oades

Post by lee.oades »

Could anyone please reply telling me the default ip address, subnet mask etc that Bubba gets when switching it to "server+firewall+router"?

Perhaps, if you've access to your Bubba, you could tell me whether setting your Bubba to "server+firewall+router" mode does indeed give it a static IP address by default? I'm hoping so.

Thanks,
Lee.
Kiff

Post by Kiff »

Tompa wrote: I think you're right here. By default the Bubba2 recieves a static IP 192.168.10.1 if no DHCP is found, so maybe if you set a static IP on your client computer thats 192.168.10.2 or similar you'll be able to reach it?
Try this, and if you can't find it on 192.168.10.1, try ping broadcasting 192.168.10.255 (or 192.168.255.255)
lee.oades

Post by lee.oades »

Excellent. I'll try that tonight.

I've just been talking to the network guy here and he's suggested a couple of other things to try too - including that the router might be blocking the two networks from crossing over (i.e. not routing packets between them), so he's given me a little switch to try connecting the Bubba to my laptop without the router.

Thanks guys!
lee.oades

Post by lee.oades »

Guys,

It's not working.

I've borrowed a network hub and plugged in the Bubba and the laptop. I've set my ip address to 192.168.10.2 and tried to find Bubba but it won't find it. I've tried different ip addresses 192.168.1.2, 10.10.1.2, 10.10.10.2 but to no avail.

I'm really not happy. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

:-(
lee.oades

Post by lee.oades »

Hi Chaps,

OK, success... phew.

So I installed WireShark, which reports all network traffic. I ran it and watched out for Bubba's shouts.
With just Bubba and my machine plugged into a ethernet hub, nothing - not a noise.

So I plugged the laptop and Bubba into the adsl router, where there was quite a bit of noise - but at least the network light on the back of the Bubba started to flash a bit.

Finally, a packet came through from 192.168.10.1. I could finally see that Bubba was on the network.
However, the router was set to 192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0 - so 192.168.10.1 was unavailable.

My adsl router is fairly basic so the only thing I could do was move the entire network across to 192.168.10.0 so that's what I did and of course after all of the computers got new ip addresses, Bubba finally rejoined the party.

I think that it is an issue - I clicked one setting and it moved my Bubba into a place on the LAN that I could no longer access. Whilst it's easy to say that I shouldn't have done it, the point is that I did it to manually set the IP address so that I could fix it - and it wouldn't let me change the IP address until I'd changed it (to the server-firewall-router mode).

Anyway... thanks for your help guys!
Lee
Tompa

Post by Tompa »

Glad you got it working!

I think the problem in your case, as you mentioned yourself, is that you plugged the Bubba into the LAN port on your network (i.e into the ADSL router), and then enabled the setting "Router + Firewall + Server". This mode should only be used if the Bubba server itself is to be used as a router, otherwise I think you could get some strange conflicts having 2 routers (and probably DHCP-servers) on the network. In your case you should have selected the "Server only" mode.

Maybe this could be seen as a "bug" in the software, since you didn't had anything plugged in on the WAN port - perhaps the "Router + Firewall + Server" mode should be grayed out - not selectable? Just a thought to the software-staff.

/Tompa
lee.oades

Post by lee.oades »

I know that the situation I managed to get myself into wasn't a "bug" in the software function sense. However, I might argue that being able to select an option and press a single button on the admin settings that remove the server from my network was a little annoying. Yes, it was my fault but I would have preferred more warning - or as you say, not even being able to set it if there isn't a wan plugged in. Actually, that's a very good idea!