New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Streaming audio and video to xbox 360

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
mangan

Streaming audio and video to xbox 360

Post by mangan »

Hi!

I'm not a Bubba owner yet but thinking about it. In the specs it says that it supports streaming to the Xbox 360. Can anyone confirm that you acctually can stream both audio (mp3, ogg etc) and video (divx, xvid, dvd etc) from Bubba to a Xbox 360?

Thanks!
dan13l

Post by dan13l »

Bubba's not going to allow you to stream those formats to your 360. In order to do that, you'd need to transcode them, as the 360 doesn't support the formats you've listed.

Given Bubba's hardware specs, it's not going to be able to perform the transcoding itself, so that eliminates the possibility of it streaming those formats.

However, wmv should work fine, as should mp3 and mpeg2 video (iirc).

I'll test this for you, and let you know.
mangan

Post by mangan »

Hmmm... that's to bad.

Please let me know how the testing goes.

Thanx for testing!
lelle

Post by lelle »

I have a hardware chipped original XBOX (not XBOX 360) running XBOX Media Center (XBMC), and it works great together with bubba as a streaming UPnP Server. So far I've tried .MP3, .AVI (DivX), .MOV, everything works even over my WLAN connection to the XBOX :D
mangan

Post by mangan »

lelle, isn't XBMC a program you have to install on the XBox?

Haven't seen anything like that för the 360. Seems chipping the 360 is a bit harder then it was with the old one...
lelle

Post by lelle »

Hi mangan,

Yes, you have to install the XBMC software on the XBOX.

I would say that an old XBOX equipped with a good chip, a big HD and XBMC is really a competetive and cheap alternative to the Windows XP Media Center Edition-based computers sold almost everywhere nowadays
sc0rp

Post by sc0rp »

lelle wrote:Hi mangan,

I would say that an old XBOX equipped with a good chip, a big HD and XBMC is really a competetive and cheap alternative to the Windows XP Media Center Edition-based computers sold almost everywhere nowadays
But he still has the Xbox 360....
obrut

Post by obrut »

lelle wrote:Hi mangan,

Drawback is sound. The XBox is very loud. I think a bubba and a streamdevice like squezebox or similar would the best home entertainment system. Or, would be when a stramdevice has the abilities of XBMC, like viewing media inside rar-files without unpacking usw.