New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Copy data from old Bubba Two drive?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
yooakim

Copy data from old Bubba Two drive?

Post by yooakim »

I am no Debian expert so therefore I am asking advice here.

I have a Bubba Two. The machine has been fine but I wanted to upgrade the disk. I had a 1TB drive in the Bubba Two and now I bought a 2TB disk.

I mounted the new 2TB drive in the BUbba Two and did a fresh install of Bubba from USB.

The system works fine and it's as easy as ever to work with. but;

When I then connect the original drive to the Bubba I am not able to mount the disk. If I use the web admin I can see the disk as /dev/sdb but the only action is "Format", something I will not do.

I have connected the oriignal drive both using USB and ESATA, same problem.

So now my question is, how do I get the disk mounted in order to copy the data back?

Any ideas?

I'm not good at using mount so I'm a little scared at trying the command line, I guess I could create havoc to the disk if I use mount incorrectly...

Cheers,
Joakim
tor

Re: Copy data from old Bubba Two drive?

Post by tor »

Hi yooakim,

This setup is actually not recomended. The reason that this does not work is that all data, at least in default setup, is stored on a LVM volume. (A Logical volume). That results in two problems. First of, the current diskmanager does not work well with multiple LVM volumes. The second problem is that the LVM on the external disk has the same config as the newly installed one.

A Solution to your problem would be to connect the external disk to a Linux PC, with LVM enabled. Then transfer the data over network to Bubba.

The other, perhaps nicer, solution would have been to use the new 2TB disk to extend the original Bubba install. (It is possible to dynamically extend, even without a reboot, the storage with external eSata disks.)

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
yooakim

Re: Copy data from old Bubba Two drive?

Post by yooakim »

Tor,

Thanks for the explanation!

I did find a piece of software that allowed me to read the LVM volume from Windows;

http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

Super easy and worked fine for me to allow me to copy the files to a local drive. Tomorrow I am looking forward to get my new Bubba B3 :-) so the files will end up there in the end!

/Joakim