New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

b3.local not found - admin login problem

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
Krudtugle

b3.local not found - admin login problem

Post by Krudtugle »

Hi! (I'm new on this forum.)

I just received my B3 and tried to log in to the admin page. I connected the network cables like this:

- From WAN port on B3 to ADSL modem.
- From LAN port on B3 to socket on the computer.

I use Ubuntu Linux and according to the quick start guide, when using either Mac or Linux you shall open a browser and use b3.local as address. That, however, doesn't work (page not found).

If I just use b3 as address, I do get to the admin page, but I can't login. The error message says something like "not allowed to login as admin from WAN".

So, anyone knows how to reach the admin page from the local network when running Linux?

Thanks!
jallee

Re: b3.local not found - admin login problem

Post by jallee »

Use https://192.168.10.1/admin/
Regards // Jalle
Krudtugle

Post by Krudtugle »

Tack! Det ska jag testa.
Krudtugle

Post by Krudtugle »

Thanks! That worked!

It appears, though, as if I have to have the network cable attached between my computer and the B3 LAN port. If I detach the cable and try to connect via my ADSL modem (which the B3 is connected to via the WAN port and my computer via wireless), it doesn't work. Then it doesn't find the page at all.

Is it so, that you have to be connected via cable to be able to reach the admin page?
jallee

Post by jallee »

Do you use "Automatic network settings' profile" ?
// Jalle
Krudtugle

Post by Krudtugle »

Yep! What does that mean?
jallee

Post by jallee »

Try to switch to manual "Router / Firewall / Server mode"
Then the wireless access should work.
// Jalle
Krudtugle

Post by Krudtugle »

I did, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Another thing I noticed is that, according to the quick start guide, the B3 shall turn up as a drive in the file manager, but it doesn't.

Maybe those two problems are connected?

Perhaps my ADSL modem (with WiFi built-in) simply isn't working as a switch? But that would be strange...
jallee

Post by jallee »

Ok. how do your network look like?

Code: Select all

1/ Adslmodem / Router <--->Wifi
                 |<-->Lan
                B3

Code: Select all

2/ Adslmodem
       |
      B3 <-- >wifi
       |
     Lan
Krudtugle

Post by Krudtugle »

It's setup as suggestion nr 1. The ADSL modem is a Thomson modem from Telia, which is "plug'n'play". I haven't configured it manually at all.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, btw!
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

If you go into the config site of the modem, does it show that the B3 is connected (you need to dig a bit in the "network" section)? If so: on what IP address is the B3 present? Can you tracert that IP address? Can you ping it?

Ubi
Krudtugle

Post by Krudtugle »

Yes, I can see it's IP address and I can ping it. It's registered with the name b3 in the network, so I can reach the B3 by just writing b3 in a browser, but I still can't login to the admin page because of the "not allowed to login via WAN" thing. (The network is still configured as "Router + Firewall + Server".)

But, I enabled wireless in B3, so now I can reach the B3 via its own wireless network and login to the admin page. So, to administrate the B3 isn't a big problem anymore.

The problem that persists is that I can't see the B3 as a disk. Neither when connecting using B3 as wireless router, or when using the ADSL modem as WiFi router.

What kind of network discovery is the computer supposed to use to find the disk?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

Apologies if I do not understand the question, but it seems that you cannot connect to Bubba using the SMB protocol. Is this correct?

If so, try debugging by
*) nmap on port 137-139 to see if you can connect
*) use nmblookup (with options, read the manpage or some google examples) to see if you can connect and if the workgroups match
*) see if you find entries of your connection attempts in /var/log/samba/. For each IP there should be a separate logfile. See if theres anything in it.

if not: can you specify what the exact problem is?

thanks!
Ubi
jallee

Post by jallee »

Krudtugle wrote:It's setup as suggestion nr 1. The ADSL modem is a Thomson modem from Telia, which is "plug'n'play". I haven't configured it manually at all.
Ok...
Then you should connect the Thomson directly to the LAN side on the B3 not the WAN..
And use only SERVER only mode under Network profile..
But start by switching back to "Automatic network settings' profile" before changing LAN ports on the B3.
What Thomson router is it?
// Jalle
Krudtugle

Post by Krudtugle »

Yes, OK, I'll try that.

Anyone knows when the user manual will be published? There's just a quick start guide published on the Excito web page yet. It would be interesting to read about the different network setting profiles etc.

I plan to use the B3 as the only wireless router and as firewall, i.e. I want to configure the ADSL modem to just provide the Internet connection, nothing more. B3 will provide the LAN and security. Do your advises from the previous post still count, then?

By the way, at last I did find the B3 in the network. I had searched in the wrong place (the file system) in Nautilus (I use Ubuntu). I SHOULD have looked in the "Network" part of Nautilus. So, now it's starting to look good 8)