New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

New version of BubbaMon, the firefox extension

The wonderful Firefox plugin for Excito's products
RandomUsername

Re: New version of BubbaMon, the firefox extension

Post by RandomUsername »

Hey Johan,

I've just done a quick bit of testing and here are the results:

The problem never occurs if BubbaMon is disabled/uninstalled so I am fairly convinced that it has a part to play in this.

If I set my home page to a site that loads (almost) instantly such as about:blank or google.co.uk then the problem doesn't occur.

If I set my home page to a site that takes a second or two to load (news.bbc.co.uk, http://www.theregister.co.uk) the problem occurs almost all of the time.

I haven't changed any of the default settings in Bubbamon except the address, username and password. I am using an https:// address and it just occurred to me that this might be causing an issue given what you said about not expecting people to use it over the Internet. Is BubbaMon only written to expect and IP address in that field?

Thanks.

Darren.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Hi,

I'll test some more with the sites you mention.

Could you try increasing the interval to a large value, say 600, and see if the problem occur more seldom with a large interval, just to see if it has anything to do with the interval bubbamon fetches data from your bubba.

As for working over the internet, I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work. What I meant was delays over the internet may cause problems I haven't thought of (e.g.. the default five second interval is probably a bit too short).

/Johan
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Cracked it! The problem is caused by a combination of Fission, BubbaMon and using a master password (which I don't do at home, hence I don't have the problem at home).

There's a noticeable difference in behaviour with BubbaMon enabled:

With BubbaMon enabled:

When I load Firefox, only the master password dialogue appears. When I enter the password my home page opens.

With BubbaMon disabled:

My home page opens and the master password dialogue appears about a second later as my other extensions start to need it (most likely Read it Later and XMarks).

My theory:

BubbaMon seems to need the master password much quicker than other extensions. If I'm not quick enough with entering the password it tries to connect anyway and the connection attempt "hangs". Probably it will timeout eventually which is why the problem with the progress bar goes after a while.

Does that sound plausible?
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Could be, but I'm not sure I fully understand what is going on.

When you say master password, what master password is this? Some .htaccess thing, or what?

How do you explain the different home pages causing different results with this theory?

And, do you mean the progress bar is showing one of bubbamons connection attempts, because the little tests I did with fission, showed that no progress bar was shown when bubbamon was fetching data, only when I manually clicked a link (or during startup when homepage was loading).

Also, does this problem with the progress bar occur only on first startup (when your homepage is loading)?

/Johan
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

When you say master password, what master password is this? Some .htaccess thing, or what?
It's a feature in firefox that requires you to enter a password to unlock any saved passwords for websites and extensions. It's under the security tab in the preferences dialogue.
How do you explain the different home pages causing different results with this theory?
Not sure but there's definitely a correlation between the time the site takes to load and the rate of occurrence.
And, do you mean the progress bar is showing one of bubbamons connection attempts, because the little tests I did with fission, showed that no progress bar was shown when bubbamon was fetching data, only when I manually clicked a link (or during startup when homepage was loading).
That's the theory, yes. The fission bar is supposed to replicate the behaviour of the progress bar in the status bar (too many bars :P ). I was wondering if it's possible that fission is also picking up the progress of the connections BubbaMon is attempting to make.
Also, does this problem with the progress bar occur only on first startup (when your homepage is loading)?
Yes. It never starts happening in the middle of a browser session.

Thanks.

Darren.
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

Interesting, does this master password mean you don't enter a password in the bubbamon settings?
I was wondering if it's possible that fission is also picking up the progress of the connections BubbaMon is attempting to make.
I think not, at least I haven't seen this behaviour, but then I haven't tried fission much (and I'm using fission default configuration). One way to test this is to do nothing in firefox, leave it idle (preferably with a single tab "about:blank"). If fission is picking up the progress of bubbamon, then you should see a progress bar at every interval when bubbamon fetches data. Let me know if you do, because then something differ between our set-ups.
Yes. It never starts happening in the middle of a browser session.
Ok, good to know.

I will try some more, but I still haven't been able to reproduce the error and I think it will be difficult to solve this unless I'm able to reproduce it.

/Johan
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Interesting, does this master password mean you don't enter a password in the bubbamon settings?
No, you enter all your passwords as normal. Using a master password encrypts your saved password database (for when you are sharing a PC with others). If you browse to a site that you've saved a password for you're prompted to enter your master password to decrypt the saved passwords. In my case, because I have several extensions with saved passwords (BubbaMon, Read it Later, XMarks) I'm prompted to enter my master password as soon as Firefox starts.
I was wondering if it's possible that fission is also picking up the progress of the connections BubbaMon is attempting to make.
I think not, at least I haven't seen this behaviour, but then I haven't tried fission much (and I'm using fission default configuration). One way to test this is to do nothing in firefox, leave it idle (preferably with a single tab "about:blank"). If fission is picking up the progress of bubbamon, then you should see a progress bar at every interval when bubbamon fetches data. Let me know if you do, because then something differ between our set-ups.
There's no activity in Fission when I just have a blank page open (as would be expected). Also, I get this problem with the default Fission config as well.
I will try some more, but I still haven't been able to reproduce the error and I think it will be difficult to solve this unless I'm able to reproduce it.
It's only a small, aesthetic issue so don't lose any sleep over it. I'm a tenacious git though so I'd like to find the cause of it.

Thanks.

Darren.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Hi Johan,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've somehow fixed this, I just don't know how. It could be that I uninstalled/reinstalled some extensions in the right order or possibly it was an update to one of my extensions that fixed it. :?

Darren.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Looks like the newest B2 update has broken the BubbaMon extension :(
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

I noticed the same thing.

It is the bubba status page that now requires administrator rights. Since bubbamon is logging in as an ordinary user, it can't get the information it want. This will cause it to reconnect over and over again.

I'll see what I can do about this, but it might take some time, since I'm busy with another project of mine.
Maybe I can come up with a work around, until I get the time to fix it properly, so that you at least can see the download status.

/Johan
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

For those of you who can't wait for a proper fix, here's the instructions on a temporary solution to the problem with the new Bubba web interface.

Note! You will not see version, uptime, partitions or temperatures, only download information
  • Locate the BubbaMon chrome folder

On Windows:
    Press [Windows key]+[R] and type in %APPDATA% and click ok.
    Explorer will open a folder with your application settings.
    Open the folder Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/.../extensions/bubbamon@thevoid.webhop.info/chrome (where '...' is you profile, it'll probably end with '.default')

On Linux:

Code: Select all

cd ~/.mozilla/firefox/.../extensions/bubbamon@thevoid.webhop.info/chrome
    (profile, as in windows)
  • In the chrome folder you'll find bubbamon.jar, unzip this file
  • Now open content/bubbatwo.js in a proper text editor (Windows user? I don't consider Notepad a proper editor but it might work)
  • Locate the refresh function:

BUBBAMON.BubbaTwo.prototype.refresh = function() {
    Comment out the second HtmlConnection line by adding two slashes first on line:

//   BUBBAMON.HtmlConnection(this.addr + "stat/index/json", null, this.parseGeneral, this, BUBBAMON.prefs.interval);
  • Save the file.
  • Now zip the three folders and then replace the old bubbamon.jar with the new one.
and you're done.

/Johan
6feet5

Post by 6feet5 »

I just couldn't let it go, so I fooled around some more and found an even better way around the problem. Beware though, as this will alter the files provided by Excito. Proceed with caution.

Undo the changes mentioned in previous post.
Then log on to your bubba and become root.
Open /usr/share/web-admin/admin/controllers/stat.php in your preferred editor.
Change the constructor to:

function stat(){
                parent::Controller();

require_once(APPPATH."/legacy/defines.php");
                require_once(ADMINFUNCS);

if(!($this->uri->segment(2) == 'index' && $this->uri->segment(3) == 'json')) {
                        $this->Auth_model->RequireUser('admin');
                }
                $this->Auth_model->EnforceAuth();

load_lang("bubba",THEME.'/i18n/'.LANGUAGE);
        }
The important part is the if-statement around the RequireUser call. This will test if we're trying to access the json status object bubbamon need. If we are, then we allow ordinary users as well.

/Johan

edit: Fixed a typo in the filename
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

Thanks Johan. I'll give this a go tomorrow.
RandomUsername

Post by RandomUsername »

It works! Johan, you're a legend.
theWebalyst

Post by theWebalyst »

Should this work with b3 - it says it can't find compatible server at http://b3 but that's where I find it.

Mark