New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Mumble VoIP server on B3 possible?

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
NisseJ

Mumble VoIP server on B3 possible?

Post by NisseJ »

Hello there,

I haven´t bought a B3 yet but i plan to do so if i can convince my wife that we really need one of those, and one of those good points to do so would be if it was possible to run an Ventrilo-alike server on it. At the moment i have an pizza sized noisy server in the garage running a Ventserver but the B3 seems like a smoother and more efficient solution.

Is there anyone that has tried Mumble ( http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ ) on the B3 with success?
ymer234

Re: Mumble VoIP server on B3 possible?

Post by ymer234 »

I've installed it and tried to run it.
I can log in with my friends, but we cannot hear each other. I have not found any information how to solve this problem.

help
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi,

I have never used this software, but I understand it uses both TCP and UDP.
Could it be that you and your friends can connect because TCP is open on port 64738 (that is the default according to the wiki), but the actual voice transfer doesn't happen because UDP is blocked (on your end or the other end)?

Just a guess...

/Cheeseboy
ymer234

Post by ymer234 »

both TCP and UDP open though
ymer234

Post by ymer234 »

it actually solved itself.
All menus and things in the web interface hung on me so I restarted the machine with shutdown -r command. Now the mumble 1.2.3 server works like it is supposed to.
NisseJ

Post by NisseJ »

Coolness, than i will buy myself a B3 asap. Just have to tell the wife how much money we will save when going from an old IBM Xseries server to a sweet little B3 when we don´t have to pay for all the electricity that the IBM uses ;)
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

You might also add the smallness, prettiness, and silence as arguments :-)
NisseJ

Post by NisseJ »

Wohoo, finally ordered my B3 :) looking forward to get it :)
snowie

Post by snowie »

I recommend checking uMurmur out. I used to run it on B2 with a very minimal footprint. I built on B3 successfully and also ran it real quickly and it seems to work as expected. I have yet to test it on B3 with users though.