New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

Mac 10.4.9 crashing on connection attempt with Bubba

Got problems with Bubba? Then this forum is for you.
afriendcalledben

Mac 10.4.9 crashing on connection attempt with Bubba

Post by afriendcalledben »

We have recently bought a Bubba to act as a file server for our small office. Everyone can access the home and storage areas fine except for two Mac Pros running 10.4.9. Other macs running 10.4.8 have no problem.
Has anyone else had this problem.

Also, can you create folders and write to 'storage' or do you have to use the 'music'/'pictures'/'videos' folders. I wanted to create a 'work' folder in 'storage' but it says access is denied either logged in as a user or admin. I can however write into the media folders.

Thanks for any help :)

Cheers,

Ben
pa

Post by pa »

Are you refering to adding directories using the web-admin tool or how do you try to create the folders? You should be able to create folders in the storage directory.

Also, what OS are you running?
afriendcalledben

I tried add folder and files into storage using both the web admin and connecting through Windows Explorer in Windows 2000 and Network on a Mac with OS X 10.2.8.

All times it says I have insignificant privilages to write to the storage folder.
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

this is the permissions of /var/samba/public on my bubba, default-installed without any updates:

Code: Select all

drwxr-xr-x   5 1008 users 4.0K May  9 19:35 public
this indicates that members of the group "users" cannot create any folders within the "storage" share.

since samba is configured to have a create-mask of 0777 one could argue that the public-folder should have this.

the command on bubba as root:

Code: Select all

chmod -R 777 /var/samba/public
will remedy that situation, but i cannot promise that this won't break future updates from excito-team (although i can't see why it should).

/Bjorn
afriendcalledben

Thanks bjorn,
I'll give that a try.
Before I do, is there another solution to simply creating an all access read-write folder which didn't have to sit in the music, pictures or videos folder or in the web folder in home which didn't involve risking the bubba.
Thanks for the help.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

afriendcalledben, your system is up to date? The problem bjorn is refering to is actually an old bug. The /var/samba/public folder should be writable by all. But if you have done a reinstall without adding the updates you most likely will run in to the access problem mentioned above.

/Tor
Co-founder OpenProducts and Ex Excito Developer
tor

Post by tor »

Regarding the crashes, this is totally new to us. Could you please specify in a little more detail?

/Tor
afriendcalledben

Hi Tor,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been away for the weekend.

Regards to bubba's installation, we have been using it fresh out the box with no additional installations of anything performed by us. I have clicked 'Update Software' in the web admin and it informs me I'm completely up to date with no packages to install. The version number is 0.31.4-1.

With the problem of the Macs with 10.4.9 crashing, the process goes like this. These macs are able to see Bubba in their network folder within the Excito workgroup folder like the other computers on the network. However, when they click the 'Connect' button, there is a two second pause and then the spinning candy of death appears and Finder needs to be relaunched. As I mentioned before, there are a couple of Macs with OS X 10.4.8 which do not have these problems and can connect to Bubba.

Apart from the OS version, I can't see any difference in the set up to these Macs.

Thanks in advance if you can help with either of these problems.

Cheers,

Ben
:)
jamerson

Post by jamerson »

I have experienced the same thing with different macs.
I have not seen any pattern in what works and what doesn't.
One time I solved it by restarting smbd on the bubba, but that does not always work.

/pelle
tor

Post by tor »

Regarding the crashes.

Ok, sounds stranger. But is it only with 10.4.9? And afriendcalledben is it reproducable on your machines?

/Tor
afriendcalledben

It is reproducible every time only on the macs with 10.4.9. We've yet to connect to the bubba through them.
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Regarding the permissions problem, the folder problem. This really should not be a problem either. But something must have failed. Could you check your permissions on the folder /var/samba/public ie ls -l /var/samba and then follow bjorns advice above on chmod. That really should fix that problem.

/Tor
J.Acord

Mac OS X 10.4.9 -- any luck at all?

Post by J.Acord »

I read about Bubba on LinuxDevices.com and I'm quite interested in getting one, but I'm a little hesitant after seeing there are problems with OS X. My home network has a brand new MacBook and a WinXP notebook on it, so obviously I want a potential home server to work with the machines I already have.

Does Bubba work at all with the latest OS X, i.e. are the problems reported in the minority, or does it have general problems with 10.4.9?

Cheers
Jerry
tor

Post by tor »

Hi,

Regarding the crashing Finder in MacOSX. This is an "incompatibility" between Bubbas Samba server and the "client" in some MacOSX versions.

If one have a problem, the solution is not to browse for the service but rather use a direct connection. To do this choose Go in the finder menu and then Connect to server. When prompted for location use either smb://bubba/storage to reach the public part or smb://bubba/home for the private share.

(And as a note, we are not able to reproduce the above crash on our MacOSX 10.4.9 test system. So not all systems with this version is affected.)

/Tor
J.Acord

Post by J.Acord »

Thanks for the quick OS X info.