New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

easyfind not working

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
sortsnak

Re: easyfind not working

Post by sortsnak »

Hi.
It won't work for me, I press on, type in a single ord 9 letters all lowercase, press "Update Easyfind".
I get this at the buttom:

Name is not valid.
Server responded: Failed to verify request.

I tried others names as to make sure it does not seem taken - no luck with anything. Just want to make sure I don't need to register anywhere or anything of that sort. I have a public ipadress assigned to eth0 - do some service need to be restarted if unsuccessful after several tries diffrent days. All outgoing in firewall is allowed as the default setting, does it access some nameserver thats is not accessable by my isp? - or anyway I can check?
/thanks
b
johannes

Post by johannes »

@sortsnak, did it ever work for you? If yes, what changes did you do when it stopped working? Are you on a brand new unit?
/Johannes (Excito co-founder a long time ago, but now I'm just Johannes)
sortsnak

Post by sortsnak »

@Johannes
I just resently installed it using the b3 as my router, otherwise I've just used it as file server (its a few months old).
- So no it never worked for me. And I tried getting it to work this week.

Additional, my friend got a b3 and his easyfind works, only his has been working for months.

Tried a few things:
The dns lookup seems to be working.
1: An allready taken easyfind gives the same result: Name is not valid. Server responded: Failed to verify request.
2: I get 'updated succesfully' if I turn it off.

additionaly
root@b3:/usr/lib/web-admin# ./easyfind.pl
{"msg":"Failed to verify request.","opcode":16,"record":{},"error":true}

all I can say is the perl script deleted my manually put in ip in the easyfind.conf, but it seemed by visiting the page that gives the perl script the ipadress gives my ip. I have no idea as what the opcode means.
---
edit: IT's Working now :)
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Apparently this is not fixed...

Never had any use for easyfind, but recent development prompted me to give this a go. I added a name and yes after a little while I could access my B3 using the selected name. However, the next day I couldn't.

Using Google DNS I can currently see the domain name, but it doesn't show on my provider's DNS. Querying the working DNS with Bind's dig utility I found the authoritative nameservers to be ns1.excito.org and ns2.excito.org. Querying ns1.excito.org shows my registered name, but querying ns2.excito.org it does not!

So the issue here seems to be that the two nameservers are not synchronizing data and that if any propagating DNS server chooses ns2.excito.org to refresh my entry, which ns1.excito.org instructs them to do every 60 seconds, it will instead delete the entry on account of ns2.excito.org claiming it doesn't exist.

Can anyone at Excito have a look at why this is failing?
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

Hi Gordon,

I have used easyfind since I got my B2 in 2009, and monitor it using the Overlook Whiz app (with my easyfind address) on my Android phone.
Just recently it's been going off numerous times a day, telling me my B2 is down, then up, then down, and so on.

I wasn't sure what was going on, until I read your post.

Just as you've found, ns1.excito.org lists my correct IP address & ns2.excito.org lists a different address - in-fact one that was valid for me between 19/07/2013 @ 03:00 & 23/07/2013 @ 22:15 (I log every IP address change). I have had three changes of IP address since then and it seems ns1.excito.org has updated correctly but ns2.excito.org has not.

I second someone at Excito having a look at why this is failing!
Cheeseboy

Post by Cheeseboy »

Hi!
Just a hint:
Please contact them directly by email, do not expect your post in this old thread to be read and dealt with by Johannes or anyone else at Excito automagically.
support AT excito.com

Cheers,

/Cheeseboy
wm.bubba

Post by wm.bubba »

Email has been sent to Excito.

Thanks Cheeseboy!
johannes

Post by johannes »

Hmm, I did a quick check and ns2 is indeed not working properly. Many thanks for finding this problem. The guy that knows about this is on vacation but we'll look in to it as soon as possible.
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

need a hand?
johannes

Post by johannes »

I'll PM you