New user's registration have been closed due to high spamming and low trafic on this forum. Please contact forum admins directly if you need an account. Thanks !

No share, no media server - Bubba 2

Got problems with your B2 or B3? Share and get helped!
jjap

No share, no media server - Bubba 2

Post by jjap »

Hi,

I am using Bubba 2 in server mode in my LAN.
  • I can access the web menu
  • I can ssh into Bubba
However:
  • No network share are shown in Gnome (Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 8.04) neither from Windows XP.
  • My Roku soundbridge does not find any library although I added music (it streams Internet radio just fine) netstat does not show port 3689 (DAAP)
  • Needless to say the network printing does not work either.
I other words nothing of what is supposed to happen automatically is.
I am a Linux user but not a geek, any hints on how to "kickstart" Bubba with respect to these functions is greatly appreciated.
DanielM

Re: No share, no media server - Bubba 2

Post by DanielM »

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but you have enabled the desired services in the configuration, right?

/Daniel
ryz

Post by ryz »

There has been problems with samba not starting correctly. You should be able to find it if you search the forums. I do not now if this is fixed in the latest Bubba 2 release.
You could try to manualy start samba by running as root

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/samba start

By the way samba is responsible for the network share and printer share.
jjap

Post by jjap »

@ Daniel: very legitimate question, I should have mentioned the service was showing as "on" in the Web interface.

@ ryz: interesting posts about samba not starting right. Unfortunately adding the "sleep 2" as per Albert's post did not do the trick and the /var/log/samba/log.all shows a core dump after restart of the service.

I also tried your own suggestion of adding it to the /etc/init.d/networking script (although about B3 & unsure of the best place to add it in the file). The log file still shows warning "No network interface found" and concludes with a core dump. Puzzling... Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will keep on looking, but any hints are still appreciated.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I notice now that you write that you use the Bubba in server mode. Guess that means there's another router between the Bubba and your computer, right? Could there be any firewall there only letting some ports through? Ports 80 and 22 seems quite logical to have open, but 3689 might not be.

/Daniel
jjap

Post by jjap »

Thanks for the idea. Nothing ever "crosses" the router and its firewall, all being inside the LAN so, for one, the router is not the culprit.

Just to make sure that Bubba in server mode (also tried automatic configuration) does not keep the firewall up for some reason, I started by issuing the command iptables -F and the unit froze... Not whole lot of progress there but i'll keep on looking for an adequate way to make sure Bubba's firewall is disabled. Since so many services seem broken (samba and daap) the firewall hypothesis would make a lot of sense...
sortsnak

Post by sortsnak »

I also had a problem with the samba service not starting. 1, it was enabled in the web, 2. checked the init.d for samba, 3 I checked that it was a @s06 in the rc2.d and the b3 was in init = 2.

I can't seem to find out why it does not start then - other than the service might try and start too soon in the booting process, so as a dirty fix I added "/etc/init.d/samba start&" in the rc.local file - which works every time.

I don't know if my squeezeserver works yet, I have a plan to try that out later.

I don't know if I'm the only one that added the debian repos to my server because there were things there I wanted installed. I done an "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" on my server as well and ofc got a few updates that way. However a question poped up that I was not sure what to answer to, I suspect it got to do with the bootup of the b3 and how the rc's is handled I just don't know the full impact of this command:
"dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc"
This is however the only thing I can think of that Ive done with my b3 which is not standard and might influence the service not to start.
ryz

Post by ryz »

jjap wrote:@ ryz: interesting posts about samba not starting right. Unfortunately adding the "sleep 2" as per Albert's post did not do the trick and the /var/log/samba/log.all shows a core dump after restart of the service.
Do you get an log of a core dump if you do an

/etc/init.d/samba start
as the root user? or was this just after an restart of the Bubba?
If you do get it after you explicitly run the start command you have some serious problem which has nothing to do with any firewall what so ever.
jjap

Post by jjap »

@ryz - Indeed the tail of /var/log/samba/log.all gives the same listing whether after booting or after issuing the command /etc/init.d/samba start as root. I am copying it here: (no message at the console though)

[2011/06/28 20:59:52,  0] lib/interface.c:550(load_interfaces)
  WARNING: no network interfaces found
[2011/06/28 20:59:52,  0] smbd/server.c:616(open_sockets_smbd)
  open_sockets_smbd: No sockets available to bind to.
[2011/06/28 20:59:52,  0] smbd/server.c:837(exit_server_common)
  ===============================================================
[2011/06/28 20:59:52,  0] smbd/server.c:839(exit_server_common)
  Abnormal server exit: open_sockets_smbd() failed
[2011/06/28 20:59:52,  0] smbd/server.c:840(exit_server_common)
  ===============================================================
[2011/06/28 20:59:52,  0] lib/util.c:1584(log_stack_trace)
  BACKTRACE: 6 stack frames:
   #0 /usr/sbin/smbd(log_stack_trace+0x40) [0x102f4a24]
   #1 /usr/sbin/smbd [0x105fb530]
   #2 /usr/sbin/smbd [0x105fb6d8]
   #3 /usr/sbin/smbd(main+0x7a8) [0x105fbf3c]
   #4 /lib/tls/libc.so.6 [0xf8f0994]
   #5 /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xb0) [0xf8f0ad0]
[2011/06/28 20:59:52,  0] lib/fault.c:321(dump_core)
  dumping core in /var/log/samba/cores/smbd

Scanning the ports of bubba2 gives the following ports: 22, 80, 143, 443, 993.

@sortsnak, checked (although unsure of what is meant in 3). The unit was back from a warranty replacement (fried board and disk!) no modifications were made on the unit. Good luck when to get around with squeezeserver..

Again thanks for any ideas or suggestions and your efforts in trying to help so far.
sortsnak

Post by sortsnak »

If that log is from when you tried to start samba up manually and the B3 has been up for lets say some minuts, I think you want to dump your /etc/samba/smb.conf and what output you get on a command like: 'ifconfig'.
jjap

Post by jjap »

Sure here is smb.conf

# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]

workgroup = famille
   server string = %h Miniserver
   dns proxy = no

log file = /var/log/samba/log.all
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0

security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root
   map to guest = Bad User

socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   preferred master = yes
   load printers = yes
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   show add printer wizard = no
   disable spoolss = Yes

interfaces = eth1
   bind interfaces only = yes

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[home]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /home
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0764
   directory mask = 0775
   public = no
   guest ok = no
   hide dotfiles = yes
   user = @users
   hide files = /lost+found/
   hide special files = yes

[storage]
   comment = Common storage
   writable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   public = yes
   force group = users
   force create mode= 0777
   force directory mode = 0777
   path = /home/storage
   hide files = /lost+found/
   hide special files = yes

[printers]
   comment = Attached printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   printable = yes
   use client driver = yes
And the ifconfig output:

# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:02:00:11:34
          inet addr:192.168.2.10  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::222:2ff:fe00:1134/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          RX packets:18536 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:16767 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1782557 (1.6 MiB)  TX bytes:4812887 (4.5 MiB)
          Base address:0xc000

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:02:00:11:35
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:230 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:230 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:20300 (19.8 KiB)  TX bytes:20300 (19.8 KiB)
Not clear on the meaning of all this, but I notice smb.conf has eth1 listed in it whereas eth0 is used by the server..
sortsnak

Post by sortsnak »

Thats exactly my point, there is no association with the eth1, infact if there is no cable in eth1, that could explain why samba is not able to load on a disabled networkadapter.
I would advice you to change the config of smb.conf to eth0 and restart the samba service and then see how it looks then. I would have no idea if the same could apply to the media server. But check the config too :)
ryz

Post by ryz »

I do not think it is a good idea to fiddle with the samba configuration file since this is most likely only fixing the symptom and not the cause. The cause is most likely that you have set up the B2 wrong from the start.

How have you set up the Bubba network settings. What profile is you using. Do you want to use i as a router or a standalone server?
Ubi

Post by Ubi »

what happens if you stick the network cable into the other RJ45 socket and reboot?
jjap

Post by jjap »

My very first attempt (out of the box) was to set it as the firewall-router-server of my LAN. As some of the functionalities (notably in my wife's Facebook account!!) were disabled, I reverted (essentially changing physical connections and rebooting it behind my regular router (enabled as a DHCP server),
  • first in "server only" mode,
  • then in "automatic network setting" mode.
Both with the same outcome: samba and mt-daapd services not running or startable.
The emabrrassing part

Now "Ubi",s message comes in and I realize I, bonehead, did not in the process switch the cable from the WAN to the LAN port :shock: Now done, the shares appear in Nautilus and I am hopeful for the rest of the road...
Conclusion
My apologies to all for waisting your time on a dead simple issue. My only solace is to think if ever someone (dumber than me if that exists) does the same mistake, this tread is there to stress the importance of triple checking the user manual (scenario 6 ~page 8 )... Again many thanks to all of you for the help, which I am probably not worthy of...